Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.6k Members

Med Help Gang vs Youtube-hiv videos

If anyone here would take time to set this lady on YouTube straight, i'd appreciate it. They are really scaring me man, ultra conservative at every turn testing at six months for a conclusive result for one...i posted a response stating what we state here, that it's been 3 months for a while now. The response-the cdc says 6 months is golden...
9 Responses
340962 tn?1201175636
In Miami we do 3 months as being conclusive. Miami also has one of the highest HIV/AIDS prevelence rates in the U.S (may be the highest) so testing would have to be very accurate here and they consider this 3 month test final.  6 months is for the ultra rare cases (already have compromised immune systems, cancer patients, chemo., etc...). Hope this helps some.
Miami? Wow, i thought it would be L.A, NY or something, that's incredible..I know it's 3 months myself, it's just they say the cdc say it's 6 months-they say 3 -or- 6, i can't really find it.
340962 tn?1201175636
Yep, I think we surpassed NY or at least that's what they told me when I tested. By 3 months around 99.9% of people infected will turn positive. I don't think it's worth worrying about that tiny percentage rarely rarely ever seen who turn + at 6 months. I was going through the same thing regarding testing and I just had to trust in what I was told...if not it would have driven me mad. The test at 3 months is definitely conclusive if you don't have cancer etc...Anyway, the cdc like you said is ultra conservitave and confusing so I believe they are just covering themselves due to the extremely rare cases that take longer than 3 months.  
that info is not right?you can also find cdc say 6mos window period in their web page.
That is the CDC's most recent training manual. So don't tell me or anyone else it's not correct. Anything that you've read where CDC states 6 months is outdated.
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/testing/resources/qa/be_tested.htm
everyone know cdc use 6mos for a long time,till 2008 they still not change window period,that say 6mos negative you will be safe.
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.