Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.6k Members

Medication effecting HIV blood test?

I am 3 weeks off having a 12 week test for HIV, my 4 week test was negative.
I am really anxious, and have found St John's Wort gives me a little help. Does anybody know if taking St John's Wort or over the counter pain killers, asprin etc , effects a HIV blood test?
I remember being asked at my 4 week test if I had taken certain medication, but can't remember what they asked me, my mind was else where. I don't want to go for my 12 week test to be told come back in a week or so, because I have taken medication.
15 Responses
no effect, no way
St John Wort

Hey if you think it works for u keep it up.  Some folks have a rabbits foot, some rely on magnents etc.  

Some rely on booze....  

Me, I am clueless
Thanks, just I read that there is a line of research on St John's Wort that it might have an effect on the HIV virus, basically putting the brakes on it. IF it can do that I was concerned it might effect the outcome of any test results.
What??? Do not believe everything you read.  Just because it's in print, doesn't mean it's true!  90% of "research" is total garbage.

St.John Wort does not have ANY effect on HIV infection and definitely not on blood test results.

what about paxil would that effect the test at all?or immodium?does anyone know.
You are right, the internet is a wealth of mis-information. But I needed to ask the question, because of my anxiety I am not thinking has logical as I should do.
But after saying that, I do feel without this web site, I would have gone insane with worry by now. I get comfort that Dr HHH, states a four week test covers 85 to 90% of people, being negative, it reduces my worry to a 10 to 15% possibility. It helps.
Anyway sorry I am getting off the subject of my posting.
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.