HIV Prevention Community

Minimum wait before testing for HIV

I promise not to freak out like so many other posters. I also apologize if this question has been answered previously. How soon after possible exposure can I test for HIV and get accurate results. I have heard about 25 days, and then confirm again at 3 months.
Hi the results are conclusive after 3 months in theory. but hiv duo test @ 28 days is atleast 99 percent or normal antibody test @6-8 weeks is very very reliable & very very unlikely to change. But also it depends on the risk if you have a theoretical risk or very low risk not real high risk & you are doing it for peace of mind i would be definitely happy with them
All tests are conclusive at three months. The earliest to start testing is 6-8 weeks.
I wish I could say this was " a theoretical risk". I wont go into details, but I am a gay male and had unprotected sex with two men at the same time. I was not the bottom, but was the second top to finish. Not the smartest decision, I know. Like I said in my original post, I am not going to freak out and beat myself up until I know the results of definitive HIV tests. But, I am curious if there are accurate tests I can get before 3 months.
NONE.
Don't want to be an ***. But, I have read your previous posts/comments before. I will wait for a professional response. Thanks.
"I wont go into details"

, but I am a gay male and had unprotected sex with two men at the same time. I was not the bottom, but was the second top to finish.

sounds pretty detailed to me.

FYI...if you would take the time to READ the profiles of the ppl responding to your questions...you would KNOW that there is NO ONE on this forum more educated about hiv.  you want a professional?  pay your money and post on the expert forum ! ! !
dude as Teak said you can start testing from 6 week through normal antibody test or from 4 week through hiv duo test. then you have to repeat the test at 3 months but believe me or not they will be very very reassuring & very very unlikely to change. hope that helps
http://www.chelwest.nhs.uk/jhc/aids-hiv-testing.html this is the policy here in UK
Trust me...that was the shortened version. And what's with all the hatred? All I wanted to know was if there was a test such as viral load or PCR that can be done before 3 months. Calm down.
I agree with lizzie there is no more experienced guy in these community forums than teak
I want to apologize. I was confusing you with someone else. I appreciate your response
Yeah that is true you can start testing with PCR test but it is not usually reommended for diagnostic purposes cuz its very expensive & has high false rates. I have seen personally quite a few on these forums who got false positive. My advice would be to start with a duo test from 4 weeks that would be the earliest and most reliable in these tests.
I hope you will find these links useful & very informative
http://www.freedomhealth.co.uk/sexual-health/hiv-test-hiv-testing-london/125/
http://www.chelwest.nhs.uk/jhc/aids-hiv-testing.html
The only PCR test that is approved is a PCR-RNA test which is a supplemental test and had to be use in conjunction with an antibody test which is only conclusive at 3 months along with all other tests.
Thanks peace12345 and Teak for your responses. I think I have my answer. Lizzie Lou, have a glass of wine and relax for me. k?
You should start with a duo @ 4 weeks or antibody test @ 6 weeks then followup later for a conclusive test. This is the policy here in UK altough most experts not only on this site but in europe consider 4 weeks duo & 6-8 week antibody as conclusive in their personal opinion based on decades of clinical experience & research. I am afraid the official guideline is still 3 months in most countries thats why teak is saying it. I guess in Australia they officially consider duo conclusive @ 6 weeks.
Hi mate i just found an excellent post by an expert hope you find it useful http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV-Prevention/What-is-the-best-test-for-suspected-recent-exposure-to-hiv/show/1433537

Best wishes
UK testing guidelines.
Post-test discussion

The need for a repeat HIV test if still within the window period after a specific exposure should be discussed. Although fourth generation tests shorten the time from exposure to seroconversion a repeat test at three months is still recommended to definitively exclude HIV infection.
You'll need this. http://www.bhiva.org/documents/Guidelines/Testing/GlinesHIVTest08.pdf
Hi peace I was wondering where u get your info from reguarding Australian test (6 week conclusive). I know australia only offer 4th gen test which sucks. They will not do a pcr test do to false positives. and only offer this test in light of a positive test.
In AUS window period is 3 months not 6 wks.for all generation test