HIV Prevention Community

Negative test results conclusive?

This is my first time posting and I will get right to the point.  About 6 weeks ago I had unprotected vaginal intercourse (2X) with a female friend/coworker that I have known for about 1 year.  We had been drinking and it was stupid, I know.  We are both middle class working professionals, caucassion, non-drug using.    Anyway, I have a serious Girlfriend and since then I have been feeling really guilty about this incident.    

I spoke to my friend and she reassured me that I had nothing to worry about.  It has now been 6 weeks since that encounter and she and I both went to get tested for HIV.  Going into it she told me everything would be fine and sure enough both our test were negative.

I know Dr. HHH says, 6 weeks is a conclusive test.  What the odds that these test results might not be accurate with both of us having tested negative at 6 weeks?
There are no tests that will give you a conclusive result less than 3 months. Not saying that your result will change.
Teak accurately recited the CDC timeline.  However....Dr. HHH says he's never seen a 6 week test turn positive later...he further states that 300 HIV Specialist/expert agree.  Your test is technically not conclusive according to the CDC but...WILL NOT CHANGE.  Calm yourself and remember your friend went with you to test and was very confident....Don't give panic and anxiety a foothold here.  God bless and you wont need luck!
Congratulations on your test results!  

I realize I am probably overreacting but there so much varying info out there.  Even the couselor at the clinic (which by the way is a very busy AIDS research facility in a large City in the US) said that he would suggest I move on and not retest, unless I want to put my mind at ease.  

I have to figure out how to come to grips with all this.  As you stated, I feel like anxiety and panic are in control instead rational thinking.

Thanks for your reply!  I am praying that is the case.

You are not overreacting, you are badly overreacting.
There is simply no realistic chance for either of you having HIV.
Deal with your guilt issues.
Exactly what /RJoes said...you do not have it and probably didn't even need a test given your history with your partner and her willingness to test and familiarity with you.  The CDC is a very powerful organization and "we" all respect and trust them.  They know that which is why they are sooo conservative, they don't want to be wrong.  So they are still stating 13 weeks when stats indicate that 6 weeks is so accurate that serconvention beyond that point is extremely--extremely rare.  Trust me if your mind thinks you have it, your body will produce symptoms to support.  I've been there and it's a nightmare.  Take the off ramp, pray for those less fortunate, reserve your cheer for the cure.  Congrats.
Would you like to explain this   "Oraquick"

A Non-Reactive test means that anti-HIV-1 antibodies were not detected in the specimen. This test result is interpreted as NEGATIVE. This may be because there is a window period of several weeks when a person may be infected but is not yet producing antibodies against the virus. Therefore, if a person has certain risk factors, or thinks they may have been exposed, they should be retested in three months to be certain of a negative result.

http://www.orasure.com/products/prodsubfaq.asp?pid=134&sec=2&subsec=2

Oraquick Advance
http://www.orasure.com/uploaded/397.pdf?138&sec=2&subsec=2
Read page 2. "What does a negative result mean?"

Orasure oral
http://www.orasure.com/uploaded/238.pdf?133&sec=2&subsec=2
Read negative result
Good question for Dr. HHH as he is the expert.  Also again very conservative
As stated above, you are technically correct in reciting CDC and Manufacturer literature.  However people are here looking for hope more so than raw data or information.  They are hoping that an expert or experienced person can give them info that will be encouraging and provide them with the strength and courage to face each day.  I don't fault you, and those that do are angry because your input sometimes rekindles fear that they are trying to tear themselve away from.  Following is a very recent quote from Dr HHH, recognized expert by the CDC as well as most HIV organizations, that I feel is relevant to this topic and that Lostguy can use:  "I have never seen a single case of HIV infection following the sort of exposure you describe or in someone with your relatively low risk lifestyle. And I have never seen anyone turn positive at any time after being negative at 6 weeks. It can happen but is rare."  We all know what the CDCs answer is and you must admit its a coverall and extremely conservative by todays standards.  Manufacturer have no incentive to change the time liine as long as the CDC support it.  Think about the amount of money they would lose if people stopped taking 2 and 3 test enroute to 12/13 weeks.  I will test to 13 weeks simply because I'm conservative also but the 6 week info from Dr HHH gave me the courage to do so.

v/r
I have been very nervous about my situation and finally was able to post it to the good Dr. HHH.  Here is incredibly reassuring response.    

"The odds that any two people would both have falsely negative HIV tests are astromonically low. The results are conclusive and prove with absolute certainty you do not have HIV. There is no need for further testing."  

Good luck-- HHH, MD
Take that too the bank!  Like I said, he is the recognized expert regarding HIV on MedHelp and his credential support him.  Calm youself, you've already crossed the hurdle.  Thanks for the earlier congrats and now its my turn...Congrats to you!
Thank you so much!  Best of luck to you!  
hi there i am pretty honest i am going the same direction as u i had a blood test done at 1 month and it was negtive then at 6 weeks i had another test done and it was negtive and i ask the last girl i slept with if she go for a test the same time i did and she did and it was negtive when she showed me the paper so now its 10 weeks i didnt go get tested again just take it one day at a time until 90 days are up like i am going to to but the chances of u haveing it is very very low like me i really belive if u have a negtive at 6 weeks and she did with u as well with her 27 years of liveing whats the chances

keep calm and try and be cool about it i know i got axcity but if u feel the need to go back in at 10 weeks to make u feel better do so i am thanks
When responding to posts please check the date, this was from 2007.