A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.6k Members

Neurological symptoms of HIV?

Hi,

About 4-5 weeks ago I was on holiday to Greece and one night I went out on my own. I was extremely drunk and dont remember hardly anything from the night. There were lots of hookers there and because I was on my own they were coming up to me a lot. I remember at the start of the night saying no to all of them but dont remember what happened the rest of the night. This made me very paranoid because I got thinking, 'What if i did have sex with one of them?'. This would be completely not like me as I would never consider having sex with a sex worker. Also I had condoms in my wallet so if the un thinkable happened then I would have almost certianly used one. Anyway this is why I'm worrying.

Two days after this I was feeling pretty sick and just genereally unwell. I'm pretty sure you dont get any symptoms 2 days after possible exposure do you? Anyway, these symptoms carried on for about a week after I got back. I put this down to something I eat and just had got an infection. Ever since then I haven't had consistant excrement. I wouldnt say I had diarrhea but I would say the excrement was not as solid as normal. Then about 5 days ago I started to become a little constipated. I have also had a slight throat infection which has lasted about 2 weeks and sometimes feel sick after or during eating although I havent been sick yet.

So I went to the doctors and they said it is most likely I got a bug from on holiday. They made me do a solid sample and I got this back today and the result was 'normal'. This has made me worried because I was wishing there would be something wrong with it so I could blame my symptoms on a bug.

Now the most worrying thing is that for the last 2 weeks I have been 'shaky'. My hands and feet shake. Not uncontrollably but if I put my hands out in front of me I can see the fingers shaking. I have also started to feel a slight numbness in my hands and slightly in my legs. This numbness isn't a loss of feeling, more like a kind of burning feeling. I havent read about shaking being a kind of HIV symptom but I know numbness can be.

I have read about neurological signs being a symptom of HIV but from what I have read these symptoms appear months or years after infection not only 3-4 weeks after??

Also, Is shaking a possible symptom of HIV?

Another thing is that when I went to see the doctor last week she checked my temperature and said it was fine. Would it be high if I was infected?

I hope you can help as I am very worried. Thanks!

16 Responses
there are no specific symptoms unfortunately, if you think you had a risk, go get tested.
i am not sure how to answer you becuase i am nt sure that you even know your risk. but as  frank304 said if you think you had a risk then test at 6-8 weeks to get a good indication and at 12 weeks for your conclusive results.
basically Im just scared incase I did have sex with a hooker. I just wanted to know if anyone could tell me how soon neurological symptoms can occur?
symptoms are completely variable and irrelevant, test if you need peace of mind. 6 weeks would be enough in your situation with a (possible but most likely not) potential exposure.
Ok will do. So what are the chances in terms of a percentage or ration of getting infected if you have unprotected sex with someone who is positive?
Around 1/2000 for a male according to the CDC, unless you engaged in riskier actions
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.