HIV Prevention Community

New Study on HIV

I am not gay, but this is alarming.  Some people on this site feel that it is very hard to get HIV/AIDS, but I think this is an eye opener.  I would like to see what the experts have to say?

A new study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, that tested over 8,000 people in 21 cities, found that one in FIVE gay men in the United States has HIV, and almost half of those who carry the virus are unaware that they are infected.

According to the study, the risk is highest among young, sexually active men and minority groups because they are least likely to know their health status, while the rate has fallen for heterosexuals and intravenous drug users.

Kevin Fenton, the director of National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention says:

"This study's message is clear: HIV exacts a devastating toll on men who have sex with men in America's major cities, and yet far too many of those who are infected don't know it."

No one on this forum has ever said that it is very hard to get HIV. Not even the Dr's say that it is hard to get HIV. It is well known that unprotected anal sex is the highest risk.

What is alarming about this report is that people are having unprotected sex even with the knowledge of HIV being out there.
If you read many many many threads on this site any time it comes to male on male sex and its unprotected.. They usually get a little lecture because yes it is high risk when condoms are not being used... Again just because one does not use a condom that dosent mean they will become infected but if they keep it up they eventually will..

I think you posted this to put fear in people on the forum not cool buddy...
Agree with Vance. It's not easy to contract but still is a possibility. My so-called exposure thought me something valuable. Its even scarier that heterosexuals think its a gay disease and it won't afflict them.
They think that way because they arent educated on STDs...And how they are transmitted
Agreed totally. I had to get an exposure before I realised these things existed. Clearly through my experience not enough education being done.
Not news at all when it is known 250,000 people are walking around unknown that they have HIV just in the US.
I thought the same thing when I read that article. I worry about oral transmission yet all the stats. seem to point to just what the DR's and others say that oral is not an effective way to get HIV. Hope they are right.

Wish they could come up with a vaccine.