HIV Prevention Community

"Non-diagnostic" HIV test result

My aunt from a small town in Montana was recently tested for HIV and other STDs after ending a relationship.  She is 50 years old and does not fit the "high risk" profile described for HIV transmission.  Her test result returned as "non-diagnostic" and her doctor told her she "tested positive for one of the HIV bands."  She is in the process of being tested but will not receive results for two weeks.  Upon my advice, she is going to receive a rapid test from the health department tomorrow to give her some peace of mind.  

Has anyone heard of a "non-diagnostic" result and, if so, what does it mean?  I am wondering if it should read "inconclusive" but this is not what is indicated on her results form.

Thank you!
Do you mean "non-reactive"?  Or possibly "indeterminate"?

A non reactive result is a negative result, and an indeterminate is really neither, it means more testing is needed.

It isn't uncommon to get a false POS which is sounds like what she had.  The follow up test (most likely a "Western Blot") most likely will give a conclusive result.

I'm sure everything will be fine.  Some people react to the one protein band for some reason....so her "Elisa" (usually the initial HIV test) would most likely ALWAYS come back positive, or indeterminate.
The test was coded as "non-diagnostic."  If it said any of the other options (non-reactive, indeterminate, inconclusive, etc) I think it would be much less confusing.  

She had a shingles and hepatitis vaccine prior to testing, so perhaps this caused some weird reaction with the test.  She is obviously freaking, but my rational mind believes she is fine.