A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.8k Members

OraQuick

Hi,
I am waiting for my 3 month mark coming up on Wed. I've had tests done at 4 and 5 weeks which required a blood draw, and 6 and 8 weeks were saliva swabs (oraquick). All tests were negative. I'm wondering if the saliva tests are accurate. Should I have blood drawn again for my three month test?
Thanks
5 Responses
720609 tn?1328783196
Oral swab tests do not test the saliva.  They test the fluid that your mouth produces along the gumline in your mouth.  They test for HIV antibody reactions.  And to answer your question, they are very accurate.

A blood test or an oral swab test are both going to give you the same result: negative.
Only a test at 3 months will be conclusive.
Yes, clearly only a three month test is conclusive (according to you and the CDC and not my doctors; GP and gynecologist both say six months). I'm not asking WHEN a test is conclusive. I asked whether or not I should have blood drawn for my three month test rather than an oral swab (oraquick), i.e. I am wondering if the 20 min oraquick tests are conclusive. I understand that they are approved by the FDA. However, I called the FDA myself and was told that ANY test should not be taken as conclusive. I'm not sure why they bother putting their stamp off approval on tests if that's the type of answer they give to these types of questions.
720609 tn?1328783196
Your tone is hostile.  Oraquick tests are very accurate, as I said.  There is not going to be a difference between a blood test and an oral swab to receive a conclusive test result.

Your doctors are incorrect go to the manufactures sites and read exactly what they say. "A conclusive negative test is 3 months post exposure.". Your doctors cannot change the guidelines. Only the mfg. and FDA can change the testing guidelines.
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.