HIV Prevention Community

Oral sex

There have been numerous studies and conflicting data over Oral sex ( Insertive, Receptive) numerous figures from expert.. What really is the fact behind the transmission of HIV through oral sex, guys pls shed some info here. any recent studies.. thanks  
The well-controlled studies are consistent and show a transmission rate of zero.
In that case - why are experts always say everything with a drawback?
Are they fully sure?
Why is there no expert willing to sign his/hers name to "have only oral sex, it is fully hiv safe" and also say it is ok to have it with hiv positive individuals?

Also, why is it that the mouth is the only orfice that hiv can not be contracted through?
Why having your penis in an anus for about 20 seconds much riskier than let's say having it in a mouth for an hour?
No incident HIV infections among MSM who practice exclusively oral sex.
Int Conf AIDS 2004 Jul 11-16; 15:(abstract no. WePpC2072)??Balls JE, Evans JL, Dilley J, Osmond D, Shiboski S, Shiboski C, Klausner J, McFarland W, Greenspan D, Page-Shafer K?University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, United States

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update
J Campo1, MA Perea1, J del Romero2, J Cano1, V Hernando2, A Bascones1
Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

AIDS:  Volume 16(17)  22 November 2002  pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan

Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117

Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.
There is no debate (among experts) about the HIV risks associated with oral sex.  The risk is so low that almost nobody who cares for HIV infected patients has ever had a patient believed to have been infected that way.  Among experts, it's a semantic issue about using terms like "no risk" and "very low risk".  There is no difference between my or Dr. Hook's use of "low risk" and other experts' "no risk".
DR. HANSFIELD

"And oral sex is basically safe sex -- completely safe with respect to HIV and although not zero risk for other STDs, the chance of infection is far lower than for unprotected vaginal or anal sex.  Please educate yourself about the real risks.  If you stick with oral sex and condom-protected vaginal or anal sex, you have no HIV worries and very little worry about other STDs. "   DR HANSFIELD

"I am sure you can find lots of people who belive that HIV is transmitted by oral sex, but you will not find scientific data to support this unrealistic concern..."   DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread by touching, masturbation, oral sex or condom protected sex."- DR. HOOK

in the public HIV Prevention forum of MedHelp, TEAK and the other moderators maintain that oral sex in all forms is a zero risk activity. Would you agree with this assessment?  
I TOTALLY AGREE / DR GARCIA

"The observation on thousand and thousand of observations is that HIV is not spread by oral sex (of any sort)."  DR HOOK
Thank you.
Am curious though - how can it be tested?
Not that I fully doubt the research, I am just not understanding ehy a few seconds anal exposure is that much riskier than a prolonged oral one.

10 year studies of testing seronegative couples.  Anal sex cause damage to the anal membrane. Leaving the virus the ability to enter the blood stream.
In anal sex which partner is at risk the one recieving or the one inserting?
if the one receptive is POS , the one inserting is negative? the inserting partner is negative at risk of HIV?  
Whichever one is negative. The other person is already infected.
People actually agree to get tested and risk such infection?!
Why would anyone do that?

Also, can the virus not get into the body through the mouth?
Also - then how come there are other researches indicating Oral is a risk (even though small one)?

As I am sure you agree with me, that even if it a dozen people out of 10 million, still no one would like to be one of said dozen
For arguments sake lets take your number of 12 out of 10 million...that is .0000012. Which in reality equals zero.

The other reasearch was done as reporting. Which is basically getting a group of people together and asking them what they do sexually. Send them on there way have them come back after weeks report what they did and test. So there is no way to verify what they did or did not do.

The Spain study took couples and followed them for about 10 years and closly montered everything they did sexually with no transmissions from unprotected oral sex.
The only evidence is anecdotal, and there have been a number of studies (see Teak's list) that have shown that that isn't very reliable. Those cases were never confirmed.

Read the well-controlled studies. If you are still not convinced that oral sex is safe after you have looked at the evidence, then by all means use condoms. Feeling safe is just as important as being safe.
by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D., May 13, 2010 10:20AM

Of course you realized there is no such thing as truly safe sex, unless you limit contact to mutual masturbation.
Condoms do sometimes break,

oral sex rarely can transmit some STDs (but almost never HIV),

once in a while even an apparently reliable partner will give false information, and there is always a possibility of skin-to-skin transmission of HPV or herpes from exposure not covered by condoms.  Therefore, you would be wise to be tested once in a while for HIV, syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia.  Once a year would be about right.  But in general, I wouldn't worry about individual exposure events like this one.