HIV Prevention Community

Oral with CSW positive Gonorrhea (HIV risk)

Hello dear doctors,
First of all I appreciate what you are doing here to help people. My situation is like this: I am a male and two weeks ago I visited a sauna club in Germany and had unprotected oral sex and protected sex with three different CSWs. Oral sex duration was a few minutes. One week later I noticed that peeing was painful and also noticed urethral discharge from penis and pain in my right testicle. I visited my doctor and she took a swab and sent to lab for possible Gonorrheal infection.

My question is, one or more of them probably had throat gonorrhea and infected me with it, what is the chance of catching hiv from a person (assume positive) with throat gonnorhea? I will appreciate your kind answer.
You don't have an HIV concern.
Even is someone has Gonorrhea in her throat?
Even if someone  has Gonorrhea in her throat, not an HIV concern.
Thank you very much for your replies. But why do they say that the Gonorrhea increases the risk of transmitting or recieving HIV infection?
No incident HIV infections among MSM who practice exclusively oral sex.
Int Conf AIDS 2004 Jul 11-16; 15:(abstract no. WePpC2072)??Balls JE, Evans JL, Dilley J, Osmond D, Shiboski S, Shiboski C, Klausner J, McFarland W, Greenspan D, Page-Shafer K?University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, United States

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update
J Campo1, MA Perea1, J del Romero2, J Cano1, V Hernando2, A Bascones1
Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

AIDS: Volume 16(17) 22 November 2002 pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan
Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117
Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.

There is no debate (among experts) about the HIV risks associated with oral sex. The risk is so low that almost nobody who cares for HIV infected patients has ever had a patient believed to have been infected that way. Among experts, it's a semantic issue about using terms like "no risk" and "very low risk". There is no difference between my or Dr. Hook's use of "low risk" and other experts' "no risk".
DR. HANSFIELD

"And oral sex is basically safe sex -- completely safe with respect to HIV and although not zero risk for other STDs, the chance of infection is far lower than for unprotected vaginal or anal sex. Please educate yourself about the real risks. If you stick with oral sex and condom-protected vaginal or anal sex, you have no HIV worries and very little worry about other STDs. " DR HANSFIELD

"I am sure you can find lots of people who believe that HIV is transmitted by oral sex, but you will not find scientific data to support this unrealistic concern..." DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread by touching, masturbation, oral sex or condom protected sex."- DR. HOOK

in the public HIV Prevention forum of MedHelp, TEAK and the other moderators maintain that oral sex in all forms is a zero risk activity. Would you agree with this assessment?
I TOTALLY AGREE / DR GARCIA
"HIV is not spread by masturbation, through oral sex, through kissing or other casual contact." Dr. Hook
"The observation on thousands and thousands of observations is that HIV is not spread by oral sex (of any sort)." DR HOOK
"I would not say your risk ,if he had HIV is "slim to none"- that's too high.  I would say they are effectively zero.  How much of his ejaculate or other genital  secretions you may have swallowed makes no difference.  EWH "
"As far as HIV is concerned, there is no known risk of getting HIV from performing oral sex on an infected partner, even if that person's genital secretions get into your eyes or if you swallow." Dr.Hook
HIV is not spread by oral sex, giving or receiving, even if sores, gum disease or blood is present
DR HOOK
The fact is that there are no cases in which HIV has been proven to be transmitted by oral sex, including fellatio..  EWH
Thank you very much for the bundle of information!! Im sure its Anxiety thats just taking of driving me crazy! Im a bit relaxed after reading ur replies! Im still considering getting tested for HIV, when do u think is a reasonable time 8 or 12 weeks after that no risk exposure purely to calm down my nerves 100%? Thanking u in advance!!
Move along , you never had an exposure and don't needed tested.
Hi there, the tests for gonorrhea surprisingly came back negative. I still have that painful urine and a little urethral discharge with painful testicle. Can this be chlamydia? Can chlamydia be transmitted orally en specially in my case? Thank you very much in advance!!
this forum is hiv specific and you do not have a hiv concern.
It's probably a UTI.  You need to work with your doctor if you're still having symptoms, but as you've been told, you don't have an HIV concern.

STD questions need posted in our STD forum, as this one is HIV specific:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/STDs/show/98