HIV Prevention Community

Oraquick

Hi everybody.

I have been reading alot about the oraquick mouth swab test.  My exposure was unprotected oral and protected vaginal sex, but as I was a little bit inebriated at the time, I don't remember when we finished if the condom was on my penis.  I do know however it was on during the sex itself.  I have been reading Dr HHH and Hook's Oraquick assessments on their new ASHA forum, and while they believe it's pretty accurate at 3 months or so, they always seem to point away from it, almost as if they don't fully trust it.  Another scary finding is that if you are negative they are over 99% accurate, but if you are positive, then it's about 92% accurate.  I understand the FDA would not approve this test if it didn't do a good job, but it is unnerving either way to read these stats.

anyway, I tested with oraquick 4 times.  41 days, 70 days, 80 days, and finally at 84 days.  all negative tests.  i would like to believe these are conclusive and that I am totally free of HIV anxiety, as I am in a relationship.  Can an expert here comment?

Thank you.
Yes the tests are conclusive.
If you used a condom and it didn't break then you had no risk and testing is not necessary. If you're sure the condom broke then that's a risk and requires testing.

If you're going to question the validity of the Oraquick test then just go get a duo test from your doctor or a clinic and be done with the speculation. Oraquick requires a 12 week or 90 day window period to be considered conclusive. But a duo test from your doctor is conclusive anytime 28 days or later after exposure. You don't even know if you had a risk or not so this could all be a moot point if the condom didn't break.