PEP after Fingering Exposure with Sore Hangnail (from India)

Hi Experts.
I am from India and  I had a fingering exposure with a masseuse from Bangkok in a spa on delhi on 21st November 2017. I had a bit of a hangnail which was sore but I believe it wasn’t bleeding at the time of fingering. Anyway, I was scared and went to doctor for pep. I was given pep (efavirenz+ tenofovir + lamivudine) for 28 days after 48 hours. But I had it for 29 days instead. Now after 57 days I am having flu like symptoms. Runny nose and a bit of sore throat. No fever though. And my abdominal hurts a bit and a little joint pain..
1. What are my chances of contracting hiv from this fingering exposure?
2. Is pep successful if taken at 48 hours of exposure.?
3. Do i need testing? I was tested negative at baseline.

Your valuable response would be of great help!! Thanks
COMMUNITY LEADER
You were not required to get PEP for this particular extremely low risk situation. PEP is recommended after clinical assessment for individuals exposed to a high risk situation (unprotected sex with a confirmed HIV+ partner for instance), done by a qualified doctor.

Anyway, you have already completed the course of medication. To answer your questions,

1. Extremely negligible.
2. Yes PEP is effective is administered within 72 hours of exposure
3. Since you have already gone through PEP, you need to test at 28 days counted from the day you took after last dose, and repeat the test after 3 months.
Thank you for your valuable response diver58.  Can you please also confirm regarding the symptoms I'm experiencing. Are these related to HIV?
I am planning to get a 4th generation HIV combo test later this week. I hope it turns out to be negative.
Symptoms are always confusing and misleading. No doctor in this world assesses the infection, based on visible symptoms. Do not pay any attention towards your symptoms, focus on the test which is the only accurate way for determination of our status
Dear Experts. As of my exposure, I was on pep for 29 days after 48 hours. After completion of pep I took a 4th generation HIV combo test after 29 days post pep. It was negative.
1. Can you please confirm the reliability of hiv combo test taken 29 days post pep?
2. Do I need further testing?

You are reading content posted in the HIV Prevention Community