HIV Prevention Community

Peeling lip after cunnilingus -- STD? HIV?

I am a 50 year old male in good health. About 7 weeks ago I performed oral sex on a woman for about 40 minutes. She was a professional dominatrix but this was not a paid encounter. She claimed to have been tested for STDs about 3 months earlier, and she claimed that she didn't generally have sex with her clients. I didn't notice any sores or anything, but she did have a little razor stubble that I felt against my lips and skin.

Within a week after the encounter, I noticed that I had been chewing a little on my lower lip and there was an indented area with peeling (about 1/4" wide). Just below the lip line in this area was a small red discoloration. There was no unusual sensation except for once when there was about a half-hour of intense burning after eating hot sauce, and a few momentary/transient tinges of minor burning since then. Over the next few weeks the peeling area went through repeated cycles of appearing to heal and then peeling again a day or so later. I tried to be conscientious about not licking or biting the area, but the cycle persisted. I tried applying Vaseline lip balm for a week or so, but it did not help. About a week ago (6 weeks after the encounter), the peeling began spreading and now involves most of the lower lip.

I have become quite anxious about this and am worried that I have contracted some strange STD, maybe even HIV. I haven't found anything on the web that looks or sounds like this, except for a couple of pictures of candida on the lips that looked vaguely similar. That concerns me because I've read that candida can be an earlier indicator of HIV infection. I haven't noted any other symptoms. The inside of my mouth seems to be unaffected, although it may be slightly paler than normal. (I can't say for sure -- I never paid it much attention before.) I have an appointment scheduled with a dermatologist, but in the meantime I'm hoping you can give me an idea of what this might be and possibly relieve my anxiety.

Thanks for any advice. And thanks for maintaining such a useful web site.
This is an HIV forum. You didn't have an HIV risk.