HIV Prevention Community

Point Of Care (POC) rapid test?

Hi all. Just wondering if the POC rapid test is considered a standard hiv antibody test? I have read Dr. HHH say 90-95% of people who are positive will show at 4 weeks with a standard antibody test with no other issues (chemo. treatment, immune issues, etc...). Is the POC considered that type of test?

Thank you so much.
What type of Rapid test?
Noty sure. I just know they call it Point Of Care. I think it tests for antibodies. It is a needle prick on the finger.
That is not a name of a test.
Most of the POC tests on the market in the western world are 3rd generation, which makes them quite reliable and they are the same type of test that Dr. HHH is referring to.  INSTI test is a brand made right here in Canada and it has a reliability rate equal to the blood draw test.  Hope this helps.
POC  are Point of Care tests- Rapid HIV tests. There are both 3rd and 4th generation rapid tests.
Not sure which it is. It is at a clinic, not a home kit. Which would be the kind Dr. HHH was referring to?
http://www.orasure.com/products-infectious/products-infectious-oraquick.asp

OraQuick ADVANCE® Rapid HIV-1/2 Antibody Test FAQs

Are all negatives true negatives?
A Non-Reactive (negative) test means that anti-HIV antibodies were not detected in the specimen. This test result is interpreted as Negative.

It is possible to get a negative screening test if the infection is very recent. This may be because there is a window period of several weeks when a person may be infected but antibodies to the virus have not reached a concentration that is visible. Therefore, if a person has certain risk factors, or thinks they may have been exposed to HIV, they should be retested in three months to be certain of a negative result.
http://www.cdc.gov/globalaids/Resources/pmtct-care/docs/TM/Module_6TM.pdf
Page 11
#4
  In an adult, a positive HIV antibody test result means that the person is infected, a person with a negative or inconclusive result may be in the “window for 4 to 6 weeks but occasionally up to 3 months after HIV exposure. Persons at high risk who initially test negative should be retested 3 months after exposure to confirm results
I have been calling every resource I can here in Ottawa, and no one knows as to wheather it is a 3rd or 4rth generation; most have never even heard of this. Is there a way to find out? Thanks
Are you say where you were tested doesn't know what test you were given?
I am getting tested this week. I just want to know from them if it is 3rd or 4rth generation and apprently nobody know. Very frustrating.
Just ask for the name of the test it's not difficult to find out the generation.