HIV Prevention Community

Possible Fishy HIV Testing

Dear All,

Thank you for taking the time to read my question. A few days ago I made the terrible drunk mistake of having unprotected vaginal sex with a CSW in Thailand.

Fortunately, I was able to contact her and she agreed to take a blood test. The problem is that instead of going to a proper hospital, we went to a private small clinic. The facilities didn't seem very impressive and more worrying, the test was conducted in probably not more than 10minutes between the moment she had her blood drawn to the result in the envellope.

It has been my experience in the past that an HIV test would take at least 45 minutes or 1 hour. So I looked on internet and read about rapid HIV tests which can be done in only a few minutes. However, the procedure for these rapid tests seems to just take some blood from the fingertip. But in her case, the blood was taken from the vein in the crook of the arm in a vial (like a proper hiv test). I am very worried that this was a legit test at all and I'm wondering if they actually checked anything.

Please let me know if this sounds like a legitimate way to conduct HIV testing or if I should be worried???
3 months post exposure is when you can get a conclusive negative test.
We cannot give you any advice about the nature of the clinic and the test you had.  You'd have to direct any concerns to that clinic.

There are no rapid tests that take that long. Some only take 3 mins. where some take 20.
Thanks for the extremely prompt reply. However, I do not understand what you mean, can you explain?

Respectfully.
What part is it you don't understand? I didn't think the answers were that complicated.
I guess my question to you who seem familiar with HIV testing is:

Does filling a vial of blood drawn from the arm and having results 10 minutes later seems like a familiar way of testing? or does it sound uncommon?

Could it be an ELISA, EIA, etc...?

rapid kit test?

Thanks again.
Without knowing what test they done can't tell you. Your are not going to get a standard ELISA test results in less than 4 hours. The turn around time for an ELISA is apx. 2 weeks.
OK, Thank you again for your time!