Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
53.2k Members

Post Exposure Treatment

I am a 28 year old new male doctor (not MD) and two nights ago, I had unprotected sex with a male who strongly preferred no condoms. For about 2 minutes of the sex, I penetrated him anally without protection. After about 2 minutes, I withdrew my penis and introduced a condom. We finished the act.

Because of his aversion to condom usage, I became worried after he left. The following morning, I visited my doctor and wanted to explore "post exposure prophylaxis" treatment, because I heard if one starts an antiviral combination within 24-72 hours after exposure, then there is at least a 70% chance that HIV will never develop in my body.

I needed to do blood work for baseline readings, but at 33 hours and 30 minutes after possible exposure, I started Truvada. The treatment is to last for 28 days.

My doctor had contacted the Infectious Disease consultant (MD) and also the Center for Disease Control (CDC) in Atlanta for guidance and they informed her that my risk level as the "insertive partner" is < 0.006%, but I insisted on the medications, because I feel that I owe my family that much - I have come a long way.

Now that I have started treatments (it's been 6 hours now), I feel kinda silly. What if the guy was HIV negative? What if there was absolutely no transfer?  The answers to my questions are simple, but my family members are on both sides of the fence... the 2 pharmacists I asked believed I should just take the meds and feel secure.

A few minutes ago, I felt pains in my chest (near my heart). It's probably heart ache, but can someone objectively tell me that I'm crazy for going through this...? Not to mention, a 28-day regimen (28 pills) cost $989.00.

I'm not looking forward to the potential side effects.

Any opinions?
2 Responses
You haven't posted to the Doctor's forum.  If you want a medical opinion about your exposure and PEP you should post in that section.  

I cannot answer whether PEP was appropriate for your exposure.  I am sure the Doctor will have a good response should you choose to post to that section.  I can tell you that having had even limited unprotected anal intercourse with a person on unknown HIV status, you did place yourself at risk for acquiring HIV.  Unprotected anal intercourse is the riskiest of sexual activities.  However, as the "top", you were at lesser risk than your partner.  That the insertion was brief also bodes well for you.

Now that you are on PEP, that does extend the testing time to a final, conclusive result. To get a final negative result that's reliable you would need to test at 13 weeks past when you complete the PEP cycle of 28 days. You can test prior to that just for reassurance, but for an all clear you would need to follow those guidelines.
Thank you for this information. I didn't post to the "Doctors" side, because I have a great team of MDs treating me (including Internist, Nurse Practitioner, and Infectious Disease Control).

I  suppose I was just looking for opinions.
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544695265
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428176748
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.