HIV Prevention Community

Post Exposure Treatment

I am a 28 year old new male doctor (not MD) and two nights ago, I had unprotected sex with a male who strongly preferred no condoms. For about 2 minutes of the sex, I penetrated him anally without protection. After about 2 minutes, I withdrew my penis and introduced a condom. We finished the act.

Because of his aversion to condom usage, I became worried after he left. The following morning, I visited my doctor and wanted to explore "post exposure prophylaxis" treatment, because I heard if one starts an antiviral combination within 24-72 hours after exposure, then there is at least a 70% chance that HIV will never develop in my body.

I needed to do blood work for baseline readings, but at 33 hours and 30 minutes after possible exposure, I started Truvada. The treatment is to last for 28 days.

My doctor had contacted the Infectious Disease consultant (MD) and also the Center for Disease Control (CDC) in Atlanta for guidance and they informed her that my risk level as the "insertive partner" is < 0.006%, but I insisted on the medications, because I feel that I owe my family that much - I have come a long way.

Now that I have started treatments (it's been 6 hours now), I feel kinda silly. What if the guy was HIV negative? What if there was absolutely no transfer?  The answers to my questions are simple, but my family members are on both sides of the fence... the 2 pharmacists I asked believed I should just take the meds and feel secure.

A few minutes ago, I felt pains in my chest (near my heart). It's probably heart ache, but can someone objectively tell me that I'm crazy for going through this...? Not to mention, a 28-day regimen (28 pills) cost $989.00.

I'm not looking forward to the potential side effects.

Any opinions?
You haven't posted to the Doctor's forum.  If you want a medical opinion about your exposure and PEP you should post in that section.  

I cannot answer whether PEP was appropriate for your exposure.  I am sure the Doctor will have a good response should you choose to post to that section.  I can tell you that having had even limited unprotected anal intercourse with a person on unknown HIV status, you did place yourself at risk for acquiring HIV.  Unprotected anal intercourse is the riskiest of sexual activities.  However, as the "top", you were at lesser risk than your partner.  That the insertion was brief also bodes well for you.

Now that you are on PEP, that does extend the testing time to a final, conclusive result. To get a final negative result that's reliable you would need to test at 13 weeks past when you complete the PEP cycle of 28 days. You can test prior to that just for reassurance, but for an all clear you would need to follow those guidelines.
Thank you for this information. I didn't post to the "Doctors" side, because I have a great team of MDs treating me (including Internist, Nurse Practitioner, and Infectious Disease Control).

I  suppose I was just looking for opinions.