HIV Prevention Community

Potential Risk

I believe that I accidentally posted this question in the incorrect forum this morning. (Should have been in HIV Prevention)

Good Morning,

To summarize my history and concern:

I entered into a committed relationship in December of 2012 with a girl who claimed to be HIV negative. We began having unprotected sex in February after discussing our HIV statuses and any concerns. (As of that point, I knew that I was HIV negative due to being tested after my previous relationship.) The relationship ended amicably in May of 2013, and I estimate that our last sexual encounter was 5/18/13. I was tested for HIV on 6/11/13 via Oraquick test which was negative. I also had blood drawn at my doctors office the following week which was tested for antibodies. That test was also negative.

Would there be any reason to re test? If she was HIV positive from the start, would I not have contracted HIV in the early stages of our relationship? I've had some anxiety issues as of late, stemming from a sore lymph node under my jaw. If I was HIV positive, would I be showing any symptoms since this relationship has been over for almost a year?

Thanks!
http://www.oraquick.com/Taking-the-Test/How-To-Video
start listen at 0.41
http://www.cdc.gov/globalaids/Resources/pmtct-care/docs/TM/Module_6TM.pdf
Page 11
#4
  In an adult, a positive HIV antibody test result means that the person is infected, a person with a negative or inconclusive result may be in the “window for 4 to 6 weeks but occasionally up to 3 months after HIV exposure. Persons at high risk who initially test negative should be retested 3 months after exposure to confirm results
Understood, I will take another OraQuick test and follow up with my doctor if necessary.

However, hypothetically speaking, if she was HIV positive, would I not have contracted HIV in February/March with the antibodies showing up on the blood test that was taken 3-3.5 months later?

Not necessarily. You can have multiple exposures and not contract HIV. The only way to know your conclusive status is a test 3 months post your last unprotected sex.