HIV Prevention Community

Question to mike_no and anyone knows the answer

Hi mike_no

As you stated in one of the thread, "The average time to seroconvert after HIV infection is 22 days Per FDA / CDC". What is seroconvert means? Is this means either the just starting of antibody production to infection or existance of enough detectable antibodies to get a positive result by standard antibody test?

My exposure is low to no risk situation. I had hiv elisa antibody test which is NON-REACTIVE (in Apollo, Bangalore hospital) after 33 days of needle reuse scenario while drawing blood in a labcorp lab, AZ, US (which is irrationally drilled in my mind) and 22 days of needle stick scenario (which is also irrational thought of mine where I really felt it like a finger nail instead of a sharp pointed pin when strip dancer tried to pat me on my soulder. i checked the spot after 3-4 hours but dint find any blood clot or scrach on that area). But these 2 scenario are in my mind and I cant able to get rid of it. I am planning to take one more antibody test next week somewhere (52 days from first incident and 41 days after second indenct). Please give me your views

Thanks for your time
Seroconversion is where you transition from being Sero NEGATIVE to Sero POSITIVE and for the benefit of this forum when you go from being HIV- to HIV+.

33 days ISN'T long enough to get a reliable result with just an Antibody test. You should be looking to re-test at three months for a conclusive result.  
COMMUNITY LEADER
Rob has already defined "sero-conversion"  here. Just adding to it, I would only say that a 33 days negative is encouraging. However, a 42 days test would be great. The chances of 42 days result changing ahead is very unlikely. 3 month is conclusive.
Thanks to you all. I will surely take a test at 3 months. But I am taking 40 days test for piece of mind

thanks once again
just wanted to know one more thing

what is the probability/parcentage of getting false positive result from a hiv elisa antibody test?

Just to inform that my previous 3 hiv elisa antibody tests were negative (2 tests from labcorp, AZ, US and 1 test from Apollo, Bangalore hospital)

thanks to all
just wanted to know.................

Just to inform that my previous 3 hiv elisa antibody tests were negative

thanks
COMMUNITY LEADER
I am sure you have been already given the best insight by the contributors here and can clearly see that your problem is not HIV any more but OCD. You have over tested and your result will not change. Please consider psychiatric help for your OCD.

If  you browse through the archives, you will find that there has been several other forum users in the past and recent present who had the same problem - ''accepting their result''. They frenzied about their non acceptance initially, they wasted a lot of their valuable time of life, looking for some thing that they didn't have and finally accepting the fact that they are negative. Symptoms? They all complained about it, please understand, your mind is very powerful and can do lot to your body, anxiety and obsession can cause a lot of symptoms and discomfort.

You are negative and it's conclusive. Stop the ''what-if'', you have tested beyond the window period and you can't get what don't have. Consider help.
as nursegirl explained to you in the anxiety forum...you had NO risk from what you are describing.

further questions should be addressed in the HIV ANXIETY COMMUNITY.   a link is provided in the lower right hand corner of this page.