HIV Prevention Community

Question

Halo. Im new member here, i just want to know some information. I had sex probably about a month ago. I wanted to know if the PCR by Dna or something called can help give results for HIV with in 32 days after exposure. if so can you recommend it or the NAAT. I recently took the oraquick HIV 1/2, they were negative. and do i have to worry about type 2 if my partner is african-american.
oraquick hiv1/2 detect both type of hiv.to make sure repeat the test at 12 weeks.you don't need NAAT or PCR,they are not sensitive as antibody test ,12 weeks antibody test is gold standard for hiv.
well my friend told me that the pcr by dna and naat look for the actual virus as for the other antibody?
from avert.org:
HIV tests that detect the genetic material of HIV itself (rather than antibodies or antigens) are known as PCR tests. PCR stands for Polymerase Chain Reaction and is a common way of testing for a variety of different organisms. The overall process of extracting and amplifying the genetic material of an organism (in this case HIV) and then testing for it with a PCR test is called Nucleic-acid Amplification Testing or NAT. NAT tests generally take two forms: DNA PCR tests and RNA PCR tests.

RNA PCR tests are most frequently used for screening blood donations and donor organs for HIV, while DNA PCR tests are used for testing newborn babies born to HIV positive mothers. Both types of test can be used to measure the amount of virus that is present within a person's body (when they will usually be referred to as 'viral load' tests). NAT is sometimes also offered for diagnosing individuals, but because it is costly and complicated to perform, antibody testing is far more common in testing clinics.

NAT generally gives positive results much sooner than standard antibody testing would, making it useful in situations where early diagnosis is necessary. An RNA PCR test will produce a positive test result within two to three weeks. A DNA PCR test will provide positive results within three to four weeks (sometimes sooner). As long as the recommended amount of time has elapsed before taking the test (people taking the test for personal diagnosis should ask their testing clinic if they are unsure), the test will be able to give a very accurate result. False positive results are more common than false negatives due to the PCR test's sensitivity, so all positive results must be double checked using a standard antibody test.
PCR-DNA tests are not diagnostic tests are not approved to be used as a diagnostic test. They are monitoring test for people that are HIV positive.
Well. thank you for your answers. Still wondering.
My friend took the PCR by DNA test after 38 days of expossure at a STDTESTEXPRESS.COM just in desperation, and got his results after 7 days he pay about $200 for it. the result was negative, but he  wants to do a 3 month oraquick just to be sure.. So my questions are is this site or location safe? Can i do it too? I trust my friend, but i am a little desperate too.

can some one answer my last question please?
Hi Jlu2010,

The problem with the PCR testing is the high rate of false positives (8-10%).  If you take this test and get a false positive, you will most undoubtedly suffer undue stress and anxiety.  If you do take a pcr test prior to the proposed window period, it is suggested that you pair it with an antibody test.  For example, labcorp has a test called DNA PCR qualitative and HIV antibody 1/0/2.  

I used an online company called privatemdlabs.com for my testing (similar company design as "STDEXPRESS"). They appear to be legitamate.  Here is my experience:  I recieved the requested rx from "privatemd" where I went to a labcorp location for a blood draw.  Labcorp sent out the sample to their own labs and performed all testing.   Once labcorp completed the report, they sent the results to the online company.  This is where this whole process can get shady.  First of all, you don't know who is interpreting the results since you never met the online doctor.  Second, can you trust that this doctor is actually reporting accurate results to you.  Hypothetically if this company was fraudulent, then it would be in there best interests to report all HIV testing as negative.  This would enable them to stay off the "radar", since most states require name reporting of positive results.  If the customer reported an anonymous name then the state would investigate the online company.

Labcorp will not share information with you, so only the doctor who ordered the test has access to the information at labcorp.  There is no way to find out the results directly from labcorp, at least in most states......

Until I make sure that these online companies are legit, I am not going to spend anymore money on testing with them.  In the future, I will utilize the health departments anonymous testing programs.

This was my experience
Good luck with testing.....
You've never have had an exposure and not only were you advised several times on this forum you were also advised on the Expert Forum. MOVE ON.
Hi Teak,

I am not posting because of my own exposures.  I am simply just posting to share my experiences with all users on this forum.

By the way Teak, thank you for responding to my posts for the last couple of months.  This forum is a great service to society.  

Johnny