Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.6k Members

Quick Question

Hi, I am just wondering if any of you know the statistics in regards to HIV transmission through piercings such as navel piercings (in canada).

I had my belly button pierced 3 weeks ago in a shop which did not look that clean. The piercer did perform the procedure properly. Meaning he cleaned the area, used gloves, applied alcohol to the area, however i do not know how sanitary the needle was. It was in a packet, however I am afraid they may of repackaged it, as the piercing was only 20 dollars, and usually it costs 60.

Anyways I have had a bad cold for 1 week, sore throat, blocked nose and phlem producing cough. Now after that one week, i have a fever with chills.

Thank you for your time.
2 Responses
No one has ever contracting HIV from piercing or tattoos.
Thanks so much. I know there have been cases of Hepatitis through Piercing & Tattoos.

Is this because HIV doesn't last long in the environment. Do you know approx how long the virus lasts once exposed to air?
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.