HIV Prevention Community

Regarding HIV RT PCR Test

42 days after a high-risk (involving a HIV+ ejaculating inside me) encounter, I did a HIV PCR test and the result was negative, no virus was detected. And 52 days (about 7 weeks) after the same high-risk encounter, I did a HIV antibody test and the result was negative.  I'm just curious and I know I still need to do another antibody test after 12 weeks, but I just want to ask if this means it's more possible that I might not contract HIV so far?  Thanks.
an antibody test at 6-8 weeks gives a fair indication of your status..you tested negative so its a big hoorah!!
however you need to test again at 3 mth mark for a conclusive result
drHHH in the expert forum says that a negative test at 6-8 weeks rarely turns positive..
you need 12 for conclusive, but a 7 weeks negative is a very good indicator that you are negative. its difficult to become positive
had u been infected your  pcr would have caught something,since you do not have any detectable viral load along with a negative  antibody test around the seventh week mark you can be sure that you have not contracted hiv from the encounter you describe. Still if you want you can test at 3 months mark collect your negative report and move on with your life.
No that is not true. Just because you have a undetectable viral load does not mean you are not infected.
undetectable viral load along with negative antibody indicates that , acording to guidelines it has to be followed up with an antibody test at 3 months for conclusive negative report
Viral Load tests are not approved for diagnostic use.
hiv rna viral load is used along with antibody test.
A negative viral load and antibody test at 52 days aren't reliable or conclusive.
it is a good indicator , but it has to be followed up by a 3 months antibody test.
Now go back an reread the first reply that you gave. It was incorrect.
i didnt gave incorrect information , i gave my openion on his situation its not  the expert forum but he would get the same answer that i have given had he posted on expert forum , i told him to test at 3 months if he wants to .
had u been infected your  pcr would have caught something,since you do not have any detectable viral load along with a negative  antibody test around the seventh week mark you can be sure that you have not contracted hiv from the encounter you describe.

That is not correct..
thats my assesment , you might have a different openion  . what would be in your view responsible for driving the viral load to undetectable levels other than haart  which i dont think the subject is taking other wise he would have mentioned it.
For the last time viral load tests are not diagnostic tests and that not an opinion that is FACT.
If someone have really risky exposure, before 3 months nothing is conclusive, don t want to scare you, but I had negative PCR after 6 weeks, negative antibody test till 6 weeks,but later became positive..
(ok, the truth is, i had rare strain )
What was your rare strain?
What week did you test after exposure and get a positive result?  You state in your previous post that you took a test at 6 weeks with neg. results.
till 20th you were negative,and today you say you are positive you better take it somwhere else , all strains are covered by todays viral load tests other wise the FDA wont have cleared it for monitoring patients under going HAART  , HAART it is used to supress viral load so our body can produce more CD4.
I have an undetectable viral load are you saying I don't have HIV?
com on lets end it man, you hav a undetectable viral load Because of 1.HAART, 2. ANTIBODIES . and you have a undetectable viral load but you  do have positive antibody test.

hiv RNA viral load is a supplemental test to be used along with antibody tests , followed by a antibody test at 3 months . end of story.
Elite controllers don't have a viral load and are not on HAART.
but they have antibodies, and are positive on antibody test even though they hav undetectable viral load.
by johnsllg, Mar 20, 2010 04:22PM
To: ebb811 had u been infected your pcr would have caught something,

That is what I objected to..
sorry i correct my self, HIV RNA viral load test should not be used alone to diagnose recent hiv infection, it should be used along with antibody test , followed by a antibody test at 3 months mark.

since a pcr may give a false positive due to cross contamination which may occur cuz this test is used by hiv + people to keep track of their viral load, hence it should be avoided since the results are preliminary and not conclusive and have to be confirmed by a antibody test at the 3 months mark. But a undetectable viral load along with a negative antibody test is a good indicator but not conclusive.