HIV Prevention Community

Regarding HIV Testing

Wanted to ask just a General Knowledge question. The 3rd Generation Antibody tests are being used before year 2000, so why the window period has been reduced from that time compared to now? So there has also been evolution in these 3rd Generation Kits, or they have been same since that time.

Thanks.
FDA gave approval for a shorter window.
Thanks for the asnwer, I was just asking because in year 2000 the window period was 1 to 2 years and there were cases where they were tested positive after 1 to 2 years, at that time 3rd generation test was being used. So just wanted to evolution has been made in these 3rd generation tests also?
No it was not 1-2 yrs
http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Labs/Q6948.html?ic=2003

Was just looking one of this, If you can explain.
PCR-DNA Tests
Neither the Abbott RealTime nor the Roche COBAS AmpliPrep/COBAS TaqMan HIV-1 assay is intended to be used as a donor screening test for HIV-1 or as a diagnostic test to confirm the presence of HIV-1 infection.
Richard Klein
HIV/AIDS Program Director
FDA Office of Special Health Issues
Food and Drug Administration
Thanks Teak, I agree with PCR test, I was not asking about PCR test as I also know they are not used for diagnosing.

I was just asking regarding the window period, if you can explain that please Teak.

Teak Blank

Jan 04, 2014
..

* Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusively negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusively negative results or a no-risk situation will be based upon the criteria established by MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
    * After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
    * Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
    * Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.

You never had an exposure.
Sorry Teak, Just a simple question if you can answer,

Does Antibody tests have improved over years even the third generation tests?

This would be my last question really.
Move along, you didn't even have an exposure.
Sorry Teak,

"you didn't even have an exposure",

By that do you mean my Negative Results or you mean the unprotected exposure that I had?
Go back and reread any of the 30+ posts you have.
Sorry to ping again Teak,

I guess you might have linked my thread with some one else, I had unprotected exposure twice, and several protected exposures, but 3 years ECLIA 4th Generation Duo Negative, If you remember that post.

My question was just about window period's like from that time to now, the third generation test has been used but at that time the window period was more than a year. If you can explain that only.