HIV Prevention Community

Retesting necessary?

I went to a massage parlor 10 weeks ago, had protected sex with an apparently healthy looking 25+ chinese (strong accent) therapist. It was a short (more like a minute or 2) intercourse- but when I took my pennis out, the condom was stuck at her vagina; it seemed my pennis was not in touch with her vaginal wall (though I am not so sure of it).

A week after, I had some severe flu type symptoms - high fever, cough, chills and sweats, stomach upset etc. My PCP diagnosed me with Acute Bronchitis and Sinusitis and gave me antibiotics. I felt better in a few days with all but the persistent cough (which I got rid in 7 weeks).

In the meantime, I have been researching online and found that they can very well be HIV early symptoms. I could not wait too long- at the 61st day (8 weeks and 5 days), I got tested. After a week or so, the result came out negative. I have no idea what test they did or how long it took the test to be done (because the lab where the blood was taken sent the sample to another lab etc. and it took at least 4 working days to get the report faxed back to the doctor's office). Should the test be sensitive enough in Houston, TX in the year 2008 to detect HIV in the 9th week?

I am getting some sore throat, swollen lymphs, nose irritation and clear mucus - and getting worried with the thought that my body could possibly not manage to produce those antibodies in-time. Again, I understand that they can be allergies too. But I have a pattern of having borderline low WBC- 4000, 4200, 4500, 5200 are four such values in some CBC in last 2 years. Can it affect the antibody production process? And on the 8th week, I also had an appendectomy surgery and took ivy atibiotics and saline. Can these things delay the process?

Should I get tested again in the 3 month timeline?

I appreciate your advice and time in advance for this. Thanks.

-
COMMUNITY LEADER
You went far too much with your paranoia. Testing was not necessary, forget about re-testing. You had no risk.

Symptoms don't suggest any thing and they are never the indicator to HIV.
I don't say you're wrong calling me paranoid at the moment- but would be more relaxing if you toldsomething informative like- the typical tests on the 9th week are very accurate, or a naturally low immune system with 4500 wbc is usually strong enough to produce antibodies by 8 weeks etc.
COMMUNITY LEADER
That's my point, if you know it, why ask?  Food for thought, isn't it? You problem is anxiety which would lead you to OCD, get rid of it. You are fine.
Ok, let me rephrase my question. If it were a standard antibody test, what chance does it have to show a false negative at the 9th week?
Cut it out man.  You don't have HIV and you didn't need to test in the first place.
A test at 9 weeks is very reliable, probably around 97% or 98%, if not more. In your case, however, your test should be 100% reliable, as you were never at risk.
Thanks, that was appeasing.
You didn't have a risk and you don't need testing. Next time keep a hand on the condom when you withdraw.
1. You never had a risk.
2. Even if you did have a risk you tested negative at 9 weeks which means you dont have HIV. 9 week antibody tests are going to pick up almost every person that is positive.

Relax man you definitely dont have HIV.
Thanks to everyone for your support.