Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.4k Members

Risk Assessment?

I had an incident with my roommate when we all went away for a weekend trip and now am concerned about it. I ended up using her shaving razor about 5 hrs after her (the razor had left over shaving cream and a bit of her hair caught in between the blades, and im I can't remember if i cleaned it all out b4 using it) and cut myself doing so, and bleed a little. When i got out of the shower to let her know that I used it, she was extremely concerned and told me that I should be tested for HIV since she is HIV positive (we've have only met recently in the beginning of college). its been about a month and a half since then and I'm waiting to go in and get tested to know for sure. But now I'm so concerned that  every ache and ever throat tickle sends me into lil bouts of anxiety till I can calm myself down a couple of days later.    

I read on here in another posting that there is no such risk of HIV transmission through razors.

I guess what im trying to ask it what are my chances of having hiv?  
2 Responses
186166 tn?1385262982
leftover shaving cream and hair are not infectious.

BEFORE you come back with "what if there was blood on the razor...it wouldnt matter if there was a cup full of her "blood" on the razor...hiv quickly becomes inactive and unable to infect when exposed to air.  

you were not at risk.
thank you. Thats what i thought as well, but it was my roommates subsequent reaction and insistence that put lead me to doubt it.  She started talking about a cases where it has occurred , but forget that. Thanks once again.
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.