HIV Prevention Community

Saliva test accuracy???

I got tested with the saliva swab thing today and the results came back negative!!!

YEA!!!!!

Now...I'm still paranoid in a few ways...

i called the office back later and...i asked how accurate the saliva swab things were and they said 99.6% accurate...

now... i have a question...

If saliva kills HIV virus.... ...why do they use the saliva swab test???  they said saliva can still have HIV antibodies in it,,,

what do you all think?
You didn't get a saliva test, you got an oral test. Oral tests are not checking your saliva.
oh ok...well how accurate are the oral tests???... how can you test for HIV if the saliva kills HIV?  
The test is FDA approved.  It is as good as any rapid test by blood droplets.
thanks... It just kinda doesn't make sense... if Saliva kills HIV or something...i dont know how they are going to detect it with the saliva whatever oral test...
?
*IF* you are HIV infected, you can have antibodies, not the virus on your gums/cheeks. They are testing for the antibodies (the body's response to the infection) not the virus itself. These tests are reliable.
soo if you are HIV infected..you CAN have antibodies??

does that mean some HIV infected people don't develop antibodies after 12 weeks or something of contracting HIV?
no. now you're reading into things too far.
If you had HIV, the swab would have picked up antibodies on your gums/cheek. it's as accurate as a rapid blood screening test, and is FDA approved.
thank you!!!... I'm pretty much for sure that I am definitely negative now!! YEA!!!!
You are definitely negative. =)