Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.4k Members

Saliva test accuracy???

I got tested with the saliva swab thing today and the results came back negative!!!

YEA!!!!!

Now...I'm still paranoid in a few ways...

i called the office back later and...i asked how accurate the saliva swab things were and they said 99.6% accurate...

now... i have a question...

If saliva kills HIV virus.... ...why do they use the saliva swab test???  they said saliva can still have HIV antibodies in it,,,

what do you all think?
10 Responses
You didn't get a saliva test, you got an oral test. Oral tests are not checking your saliva.
oh ok...well how accurate are the oral tests???... how can you test for HIV if the saliva kills HIV?  
417144 tn?1225962848
The test is FDA approved.  It is as good as any rapid test by blood droplets.
thanks... It just kinda doesn't make sense... if Saliva kills HIV or something...i dont know how they are going to detect it with the saliva whatever oral test...
?
252492 tn?1205612898
*IF* you are HIV infected, you can have antibodies, not the virus on your gums/cheeks. They are testing for the antibodies (the body's response to the infection) not the virus itself. These tests are reliable.
soo if you are HIV infected..you CAN have antibodies??

does that mean some HIV infected people don't develop antibodies after 12 weeks or something of contracting HIV?
252492 tn?1205612898
no. now you're reading into things too far.
If you had HIV, the swab would have picked up antibodies on your gums/cheek. it's as accurate as a rapid blood screening test, and is FDA approved.
thank you!!!... I'm pretty much for sure that I am definitely negative now!! YEA!!!!
425289 tn?1207238324
You are definitely negative. =)
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.