HIV Prevention Community

Second PEP, 3 months after the first PEP

I had finished an 4 weeks PEP medication late March 2009. Yesterday when I was having sex with a girl in massage parlour in bangkok, the condom was broken accidentally. I quickly clean my penis with soap and water and urinate afterward. I saw a doctor and receiving PEP course 3-4 hours after the exposure. My questions are

1. What are the risk of me getting infected?

2. Would there be any effect from my first PEP medication 3 months ago to my current medication? Would it reduce the effectiveness of the current medication.

3. I am on 300 mg of lamivudine (1 time before bed) 600 mg of efavirenz (1 time before bed) and 300 mg tenofovir (1 time before bed), How effective this for PEP? I am not sure coz I went for an emergency ward which may not have expert on HIV infection. Also I read the label it said for PEP purpouse lamivudine should be used as 150 mg twice daily. Am I right?

Thank you very much

Kenny
Forgot to tell, I was tested negative before giving current medication
Same as when you took PEP the first time.
1. Your risk is relatively low. Dr. HHH has said that the prevalence of HIV in sex workers in Thailand is now less than 5% and that the risk of transmission from a single encounter is 1 in 2000, IF the partner is infected. When you do the math that comes to 1 in 40,000.

2. I can't answer that, sorry. That's a good question for your doctor.

3. Again, that question falls in medical territory that is not appropriate for this forum, sorry.

I recommend that you find an HIV specialist there (?), tell them your situation, and work with them on your PEP treatment and testing thereafter.

nPEP is taken for 28 days and the conclusive test for a person that has been on nPEP is 3 months AFTER their last dose of nPEP medication.
Teak
"Same as when you took PEP the first time"

Is this mean that the effectiveness of my second PEP should not be affected by the fact that I have alsready had one PEP?

Joggen

What do you mean by "Single encounter" is this medically termed for one intercourse or just one penetration?
No. You took it for 28 days and I take it everyday.