HIV Prevention Community

Should I Be Concerned? I May Have Been Exposed To HIV

PLEASE HELP

I am very concerned I exposed myself to HIV over a week ago.

13 days ago I had a casual encounter with a guy that lasted about 75 minutes. We spent a total of 20 - 30 minutes engaged in deep kissing. Even though this was the only thing we engaged in I believe I may have been exposed to HIV from this individual.

The past 10 days have been an absolute living nightmare and hell.

The reasons for my concern are:

1) I have a moderate case of gum disease (gingivitis) which results in
occasional bleeding when brushing my teeth.

2) I take Ginkgo Biloba herbal supplement everyday which makes cuts bleed more
easily than normal.

3) These two factors combined made it possible for any blood present in the guys
mouth to come into direct contact in my bloodstream infecting me with HIV if he
was positive at the time.

My grave concern started 10 days ago when I read online that HIV can be transmitted through deep kissing if bleeding is involved. Taking into account my situation made me realize this is a very real possibility. I have never engaged in any form of sexual activity in my life besides this encounter. Upon reading this information I got an immediate migraine followed by an acute episode of sinus tachycardia and sinus arrhythmia. 60 minutes prior my blood pressure was 119/68 and heart rate of 54 bpm. I take dexamphetamine IR for my ADHD so I take vital signs such as BP and heart rate prior to and after taking my dose. At this point I realized I also had a fever and I developed moderate chest pain with tightness. I immediately took my BP and pulse which showed my pulse at 196 and BP of 189/112. I almost collapsed when I saw these readings and somehow managed to call an ambulance.

In the hospital they ruled out serious cardiac related causes however I had a fever and they prescribed amoxicillin. Since then my life has taken a complete turn for the worst. I now cannot function at all without a daily dose of clonazepan and escitalopram because of this.

I am having symptoms including:

- Fever with night sweats
- Migraines
- Sore throat
- Fatigue
- Runny nose
- Loss of appetite
- Hypoglycemia
- Occasional ectopic beats (PVC's) with full compensatory pauses
- Marked sinus arrhythmia
- Very low blood pressure in the mornings (usually around 105/60)

Yesterday my doctor revealed my blood sugar was low from a blood test I took 4 days ago (3.7 mmol/L). Could this also be a sign of ARS. I'm very scared to get a HIV test because I'm very confident what it will show. I just cant deal with the prospect of having HIV from one 'no risk' exposure in my life. It doesn't make any statistical sense.

If I do test positive for which I am certain I will, it could only be attributed to this encounter as I have never participated in ANY form of sexual activity with anybody in my entire life besides this one and only encounter.

What are the odds of such transmission occurring in my situation?
Your odds of transmission are zero. HIV is not spread by kissing, regardless of cuts, bleeding gums, bleeding teeth, or whatever else you can come up with. Kissing is not and has never been a risk.

Blood sugar results have zero to do with ARS so that's irrelevant.

Symptoms are NEVER used to diagnose HIV, so that's also irrelevant.

The only way HIV is diagnosed is by risk factor (yours was non risk and no exposure) and HIV test results, which is not applicable to you since you had no risk and so not need a test.

In conclusion, you had no risk and don't need to test. Your symptoms are irrelevant and will not be addressed herein because symptoms are never used to diagnose HIV.
Thanks for the response. I understand the risk is low however today I consulted with my doctor and she thinks my symptoms may be  due to myocarditis (heart inflammation) caused by a viral infection. I'm still in complete shock after hearing this. I'll be consulting a cardiologist and having numerous tests done at once. Would HIV infection cause myocarditis after exposure. I read online that AIDS can result in HIV-associated myocarditis. Is this possible after recent exposure?
Also I read  "This symptom usually develops 7 to 14 days after a viral illness and can progress to shortness of breath" on a myocarditis information website. This is exactly what I am experiencing with one of my symptoms. How early can I accurately get tested for HIV?
I just read on Wikipedia HIV infection is a cause of viral related myocarditis. Also myocarditis begins 7 -14 days after exposure. I'm really starting to panic. I'll be admitting myself to the ER.
Your symptoms have nothing to do with HIV because you had ZERO risk. Kissing has never been and never will be a risk. If you're not feeling well then keep going to the doctors to figure it out, but it is 100% definitely NOT related to HIV.
I read the risk is at least theoretical. I am very sick from my exposure. At the ER they ruled out myocarditis however they said my cortisol and blood glucose levels are low. I am going for a HIV test tomorrow even though it is early. I have a referral to see an endocrinologist as well. They said stress or Addisons disease may have caused this but I wasn't stressed until my symptoms started appearing. Also Addisons disease is very rare so I am very concerned its not that. Something is very wrong. I have ALL the symptoms of ARS.