Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.9k Members

Spermicide

My HIV+ boyfriend's ID doc told him that we needed to use condoms with spermicide.  I didn't think it made any difference as to whether or not a condom came with spermicide, since I thought spermicide was only used to kill sperm & prevent pregnancy, not kill HIV.  I've been on the pill for years, so pregnancy is not a concern.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?  Is there some sort of logic to her suggestion?  We're new to all this since he just found out he was positive about a week ago, & I wasn't able to take off work to go to his first appointment with him to ask questions.  

I just don't like the idea of using spermicide because in the past it's caused irritation.  But I guess if I have to , I will.
3 Responses
186166 tn?1385262982
WOW...

spermicides do NOT prevent transmission of hiv or other sexually transmitted diseases.

a latex or polyurethane condom with PLENTY of water based lube is all that is needed.
Your doctor was incorrect. You DO NOT use condoms with spermicides.
Should spermicides be used with condoms?
The active ingredient in all of the over-the-counter (OTC) vaginal contraceptive drug products (spermicides) available in the U.S. is nonoxynol 9 (N-9). N-9 vaginal contraceptive drug products are used alone to prevent pregnancy, or with barrier methods such as diaphragms or cervical caps. Some condoms include a spermicidal lubricant containing N-9.

Recent clinical studies show that N-9 spermicides do not prevent or reduce the risk of getting HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, from an infected partner, or against getting other STDs. Thus, N-9 spermicides should not be used for HIV/STD prevention or protection. Clinical studies also show that use of N-9 spermicides can cause vaginal and rectal irritation which could increase the risk of getting HIV/AIDS from an infected partner.

Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.