HIV Prevention Community

Spermicide

My HIV+ boyfriend's ID doc told him that we needed to use condoms with spermicide.  I didn't think it made any difference as to whether or not a condom came with spermicide, since I thought spermicide was only used to kill sperm & prevent pregnancy, not kill HIV.  I've been on the pill for years, so pregnancy is not a concern.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?  Is there some sort of logic to her suggestion?  We're new to all this since he just found out he was positive about a week ago, & I wasn't able to take off work to go to his first appointment with him to ask questions.  

I just don't like the idea of using spermicide because in the past it's caused irritation.  But I guess if I have to , I will.
WOW...

spermicides do NOT prevent transmission of hiv or other sexually transmitted diseases.

a latex or polyurethane condom with PLENTY of water based lube is all that is needed.
Your doctor was incorrect. You DO NOT use condoms with spermicides.
Should spermicides be used with condoms?
The active ingredient in all of the over-the-counter (OTC) vaginal contraceptive drug products (spermicides) available in the U.S. is nonoxynol 9 (N-9). N-9 vaginal contraceptive drug products are used alone to prevent pregnancy, or with barrier methods such as diaphragms or cervical caps. Some condoms include a spermicidal lubricant containing N-9.

Recent clinical studies show that N-9 spermicides do not prevent or reduce the risk of getting HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, from an infected partner, or against getting other STDs. Thus, N-9 spermicides should not be used for HIV/STD prevention or protection. Clinical studies also show that use of N-9 spermicides can cause vaginal and rectal irritation which could increase the risk of getting HIV/AIDS from an infected partner.