Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Teak ,under what circumstances can a DNA PCR be accurate?

Teak, i know PCR tests are not approved diagnostic tests and therefore are not stand alone tests for reasons i understand.I am not on Anti-retrovirals and did not do PEP after my suspected incident.

Can a DNA PCR test fail to detect the genetic material of the hiv virus after 3 months.I dont want to wait out 9 months Swaziland is right in the middle of South Africa and that doesnt give me much comfort.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
PCR-DNA monitoring tests for people that are HIV positive to monitor their HIV progression. There are no 9 month tests for HIV. An antibody test at 3 months is conclusive.
Helpful - 0
I have been hearing of an HIV research and testing frenzy in South Africa from my medical circles and the mooting of a 9 month window period.Im currently in Namibia (South West Africa) and i see its already on the forum.I was involved with a prostitute and experienced all manner of seroconversion like illnesses.I will be doing my test tommorow with my doctor(3 months) .Is the CDC part of this research im crapping my pants right now because S Africa is just next door.
Helpful - 0
Yes. There are only two types of HIV they are HIV1 and HIV2 and they both have conclusive negative tests at 3 months.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the HIV Prevention Community

Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544695265
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1595629445
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.