HIV Prevention Community

Teak I was reading up on this post window period worry wells

who telling the truth about window period . there alot of news online. My understood that CDC says 3 months .I called also alot of folks about it all says 3 few says 6 to make sure.too cover there ***'s
Read the answers all ready provided. 3 months is when on can obtain their conclusive negative result. They haven't used the 6 months in several years.
Here's a post from thebody.org

"Dear all, With all respect for this site, I do believe you do a great job. But I think it is time for the US sites to update information on the window period in terms of letting people know to trust a negative ELISA result after 4-6 weeks of exposure and get rid of the ghost stories about having to wait 6-12 months in any case. It is widely recognized that the ELISA tests today (2003) are able to detect antibodies within an average of 22 days and that it is safe to go and test 4-6 weeks after exposure. I would agree that the window period in terms of developing a full range of patterns on a western blot might take a bit longer time, however these samples would be caught with the ELISA tests anyway and thereafter by follow up testing until a clear HIV result arises (if the case then following the pattern of beginning to end of seroconversion).

It seems like you are always being afraid of being prosecuted, cause it seems like you guys are stuck on this issue merely to protect your selves.

I apologize for the offensive tone; it is just really upsetting to read your answers always ending with the same disclaimer in the end of your answers advising people to retest after 3-6 and 12 months. "
Now you show one test that is approved to give a conclusive negative result earlier than 3 months. Just show one test?
Let me run a scenario by you...

If your MD told you that your xray came back with a tumor on it...would you not seek a 2nd opinion?

Well, lets say that earlier testing (Whether it be for cancer, HIV, or any other disease) is indeed a good indicator....right?

Now, let's say that earlier testing for HIV helps decrease the spread of the disease. I always believe it does. I personally feel that higher risk constituants get tested every 3 months for risk factors that put them at higher risk for HIV.  No less, most people, who are dealing or wanting to know the finality of HIV testing would get tested at 3 months to get a final result.

Would you do any less if it were any other sickness?

Think about it.
guys..i posted this from body.com where dr. hodginly pretty much agrees to this.  This was in 2004.. What it basically is referring to is that window period is set as per the Western Blot guidelines because Western Blot may take time to show more than 3 strands.
COMMUNITY LEADER
You've already got some great advice. Danny has posted an excellent read and it should be comforting for you, Teak & Brian has given you the facts, the text book reads 12 week's conclusive.

The fact of the matter is 6 week is certainly a great indicator but there's no harm in following the protocol /channel if CDC / FDA says it's 12 week for an individual to get his conclusive post exposure so be it, after 6 weeks negative one can be very certain that he should only expect a negative at the 12 weeks. A final test at the 12th week would be a great confirmation, adding up to your confidence.