HIV Prevention Community

Test accuracy after HIV exposure?

I had unprotected sex twice with another male (I topped each time- aka the pitcher). I got tested last wed and that was about 5-7 weeks after my last sexual encounter with him. I found out he is HIV positive.  I had the ELISA test done and it showed negative for antibodies. I am curious about the likelihood (for instance a percentage) that I have been infected still despite that showing a negative since it was so short ago. I am desperate for help, I have been so worried. Please any help is desired! Thank you! Lewis
That is the first time that I've ever heard a baseball analogy for describing anal sex.

Anyway, for your risk level a negative test result around 6 weeks is encouraging. It lowers the chance that you were infected (which was relatively high) by roughly a factor of 20.

However, I can't be any more precise than that. You'll need a final test at 12 weeks for a conclusive result.
I have one last question. Im considering getting an RNA test for HIV. Would paying for it provide anymore insight into a possible infection before the 12th week period? Thanks
Getting a PCR-RNA would be of no benefit.
Ugh, so the only thing I can do is get another ELISA test? Ok well then Ill get another ELISA in a month and then at the three month period. I definitely have learned strict condom use and prior testing. Keep me in your prayers.
One final comment, I hate to sound like a hypochondriac that’s why I never said this before but sometimes I felt like ive had a fever and I am not sure if its psychological of physical. If my test for antibodies was negative and I feel like I have a fever, its probably in my head right? Thanks
Yes, it is totally possible to imagine that you have a fever when you are anxious. But  you can easily determine that with a cheap drug store thermometer anyway.

Any negative ELISA after 8 weeks will be more than 99% accurate (reducing your chance of infection by more than a 100-fold), so that should be reassuring for you.  
I am looking to donate a small amount of money to those who answered my questions or to this Web site in general. Where would I go about doing that? Thank you!
LOL....this is a volunteer forum...nobody is going to accept a donation.

I suggest that you donate where it is really needed- your local, not-for-profit community service organization that provides HIV prevention counseling and testing.

Oh no... I tested my temperature and it is 99.2. Now Im worried. Ive felt this way the past few days. I also have a rash, but I have had other rashes before so I didn’t think much of that. Now Im worried what the chances of that fever being related to possible infection. Is it likely that fever starting at 5 weeks after my sexual encounter is related to last sexual encounter?
NO!
Yikes, a great example of my advice coming back to bite me in the ***.

What I should have told you is that if you take your temp. with a home thermometer AND it is NOT ABOVE 100, then you know that you are just imagining that you have a fever.

It's completely normal for temp. to fluctuate, including in the 99's. 98.6 is an average.
Even IF you had a high fever( which 99.2 is NOT), this is NOT diagnostic or indicative of HIV infection.