Test kit from Internet

I bought a rapid test off the Internet.  I did this because I am working in South East Asia in a country where HIV positive people are reported and then deported.   The health care system here is also quite poor - anyone who can afford to goes to either Singapore or Australia for better treatment.    The brand is EZ-trust HIV1/2 rapid test.  This test has been approved by USAID for its programs.  It is not approved for use by the FDA.  I have read a lot about why home testing is not approved, and it is not really about the test kits being unreliable, it seems to be more about concerns around counseling and maybe some end user issues.  I sure understand the counseling issues now - the stress and utter craziness I have been experiencing are really, really scary.  

So 6 weeks after a fairly low risk event I used one of these tests, and my test result was negative. Great relief!!  However, I realize that am not necessarily clear of this yet.   I am now at 7 weeks, and wondering when to use the second kit.  I look at it every single day and want to test myself again, but so far I have resisted.  I am looking for a balance between my mental health and the reliability of the result.    When would you advise me to use the second test kit?  I will test again at 3 months regardless for a definitive result, but I would love to have some result sooner than that.      I will also test for other STI's at 3 months, but they don't seem very important right now.

Thankyou so much for your efforts.  In a sea of mis-information, this website was a wonderful thing to find.  Your tolerance and willingness to help people is remarkable - I really appreciate what you do.

Monty.

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hey Monty. The only at-home test approved by the FDA here in the U.S. is the Home Access test. Buy it ONLY from its own website because there are a lot of scammers out there trying to make some money off of innocent individuals.

I agree with going to a doctor for testing just cause it eases the anxiety of thinking "what if that was a faulty test I bought offline?"

I wish you the best of luck with everything!
Helpful - 0
A follow up to this post.

I have been doing some more research about the tests you can buy over the internet.  I have found out that there have definitely been some of these tests which were completely useless.  There have been others which were unreliable.  My conclusion is that you should not use these.  For any test you should go to your doctor or a clinic and get a proper, reliable test done.  Then you can be confident in the results.  It is confusing and stressful enough already, without also having to wonder if the test you took is any good.

Monty.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately regardless of whether the FDA has approved it or not, it must be better than nothing at all.  In this country I can't get an FDA approved test.   So it is all I have for the moment.
Helpful - 0
EZ tests were found to be defective that's why they aren't FDA approved.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV Prevention Community