HIV Prevention Community

Testing Result Question

So I got tested at a clinic more than two years after a sexual encounter.  I got tested July of 2012 in New Jersey.  They tested for syphilis, gonorrhea, and HIV.  I called them after I took the test to confirm if they tested for HIV-1 and HIV-2, or just HIV-1.  I was told over the phone that they test for both, that is why they send it out instead of doing rapid testing.  When I called for my results a couple weeks later, I was told "syphilis negative, gonorrhea negative, HIV negative."  

My question about the results are why when my results where read did they not say "HIV-1 negative, HIV-2 negative?"  If they tested for both would they have specified I was negative for both when they read the results?  I assume that the lab they sent it to did a non type specific HIV-1/2 test first that came back negative, and that is why when the results where given they just said "HIV negative."  Sorry, my slight paranoia kicked in in this situation.  I should trust that when I asked if they test for both they gave me an honest answer, but my mind went, "what if they just gave me a quick answer just to get me off the phone so they could leave?" or something like that.  So can I finally let out a sigh of relief and close the book on this?  Based on this post, am I clear of both HIV-1 and HIV-2?  

Also, is it standard to test for both HIV-1 and HIV-2?  Labs don't test for only HIV-1 anymore they test for both types?
"My question about the results are why when my results where read did they not say "HIV-1 negative, HIV-2 negative?"

You are going to have to ask them. Can't tell you why they did or did not say something.

You have a negative test, you don't have HIV.
So when they say "HIV negative" they mean both types then?
They as in in my situation, as well as in general I mean.
If you had received a positive result they would have said positive.
I understand that, but I have read that some tests do not test for both/detect both HIV-1 and HIV-2, and was just wondering about if those tests are still used in labs in the United States since 2011?