Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
53.7k Members

Unique HIV Predicament (False Positive Viral Load?)

Hello there, I have a very unique/complicated HIV testing predicament that I would like a second opinion on.

I went to the doctor on 1/7 to get a prescription for Truvada as PrEP, I am a gay male and wanted to be safer. Upon telling the doctor that I had tested negative the previous month, he ordered only a viral load test for diagnosis and sent me home with a prescription for Truvada. I began taking the pills that same day.

About three weeks later on 1/29 my doctor called to inform me that I had a detectable viral load of 13,000 upon my initial test, and that I would need to come in to confirm this positive result. He said I was most likely infected very shortly before my appointment because my viral load was low compared to other seroconverters.

I was tested that day (1/29) and my viral load came back undetectable, and my antibody test came back negative still. My doctor said that my second viral load either came back undetectable because I was on Truvada, or that the first test was a false positive. I am currently on HAART (Stribild) just incase it was a true positive.

I am wondering if false positives are common on the Viral Load test? I only had two partners and they have both tested negative recently. Was the doctor right in putting me on Stribild?

Also, would the Truvada effect the window period for the antibody test?

Thank you for reading.
1 Responses
We would like to help, but this forum is only populated with community volunteers, no doctors. It sounds like you have a physician very knowledgeable about HIV and its diagnosis and treatment, more so than anyone that usually participates in this forum. You'll do best following up with him, or perhaps speak with him about getting a second opinion.

Good luck with it!
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544695265
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1595629445
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.