HIV Prevention Community

Unique HIV Predicament (False Positive Viral Load?)

Hello there, I have a very unique/complicated HIV testing predicament that I would like a second opinion on.

I went to the doctor on 1/7 to get a prescription for Truvada as PrEP, I am a gay male and wanted to be safer. Upon telling the doctor that I had tested negative the previous month, he ordered only a viral load test for diagnosis and sent me home with a prescription for Truvada. I began taking the pills that same day.

About three weeks later on 1/29 my doctor called to inform me that I had a detectable viral load of 13,000 upon my initial test, and that I would need to come in to confirm this positive result. He said I was most likely infected very shortly before my appointment because my viral load was low compared to other seroconverters.

I was tested that day (1/29) and my viral load came back undetectable, and my antibody test came back negative still. My doctor said that my second viral load either came back undetectable because I was on Truvada, or that the first test was a false positive. I am currently on HAART (Stribild) just incase it was a true positive.

I am wondering if false positives are common on the Viral Load test? I only had two partners and they have both tested negative recently. Was the doctor right in putting me on Stribild?

Also, would the Truvada effect the window period for the antibody test?

Thank you for reading.
We would like to help, but this forum is only populated with community volunteers, no doctors. It sounds like you have a physician very knowledgeable about HIV and its diagnosis and treatment, more so than anyone that usually participates in this forum. You'll do best following up with him, or perhaps speak with him about getting a second opinion.

Good luck with it!