HIV Prevention Community

Very Worried

Good day Dr,
On Feb 13th, i was severely intoxicated and at a strip club when one of the strippers and myself went to the back room for dances. We had unprotected oral sex, both ways and she kinda grinded on me but no penetration . I did not ejaculate but did have precum.

I was extremely worried about what had happened that night and exactly 5 days later, in the night of Feb 17th to the morning of Feb 18, i started to feel off...had sever chills, body temperature felt hot...especially the head, headache, mild sore throat and dry cough. i also had nausea and didn't eat for a day and a half...didn't vomit or felt like vomiting...just didn't feel like eating. I did check myself for fever on several occasions, but never any signs of fever temperature or lymph nodes. the chills felt like something was invading my complete body, from head to toe. These symptoms lasted about 2 days and i woke up Wednesday Feb 19th feeling better, but had a severe case of diahrrea, which only was that morning.

On Thursday Feb 20th, i had a scheduled appointment with my doctor and told him about the possible exposure. He felt i had nothing to worry about based on the info i had provided him, but. he still wanted me to get tested for HIV and STD's. I asked him how worthy an HIV test would be after 7 1/2 day exposure when from what i was able to gather, i should at least wait 30 days, if not 3 months for definitive result. He explained to me that since i was experiencing possible ARS symptoms at day 5, that a test at day 7 1/2, although not conclusive, would be able to detect antibodies. And since he believed i had nothing to worry about, it was more to ease my conscience. As expected, all the test results came back negative.

Since then, I have had the following symptoms come on and off for over a month. Chills in my body, head feeling hot (no temperature of fever), headaches, mild sore throat and dry cough. I also have discomfort in my digestive system. Mild pains or mild constipation or having lots of gas...sorry for the expression. These symptoms are still ongoing as of today, biggest ones are body chills, hot temperature of head and back (no fever), slight nausea and digestive problems So the questions i have are the following:

1- i consider myself someone with a low immune system. I have pretty much all the allergies out there, sever case of asthma and since i was severly intoxicated the night of the possible exposure and had a few nights right after were i was drinking heavily, is it possible that ARS symptoms started after 5 days as i understand that ARS usually only starts at the earliest day 7.

2- Same type of question. Is it possible due to my low immune system that ARS symptoms can last for 6 weeks?

3- Is my Dr, correct in his assessment of testing 7 1/2 after exposure due to possible symptoms starting at day 5?

4-  I went ahead and got tested again on April 5th (51 days after exposure) for HIV and all STD's applicable to my exposure and symptoms. I should get my results back in 2 weeks. IF the results are negative, would you consider this as conclusive?

The scary part is the symptoms I'm having through out this ordeal. For the last little while, the symptoms have mostly been digestive issues, meaning discomfort or slight pain in the lower abdomen, on the left side...especially after eating. Frequent need to urinate, hot head or flashes and chills...although that has slowed down a bit. The other symptom that is hanging around, comes and goes, is that discomfort in the throat. Doesn't stop me from swallowing or eating, isn't painful...just annoying. I also have lost 15 pounds without exercising and besides a few days of nausea, without skipping any meals. .

I haven't had the guts and courage to tell my girlfriend about this episode. And I keep finding any excuse to not have sex until I find out what is going on with me. But I have gotten so much closer to her...hate that it took this to do so but and I hope it will be something that I can learn from and move on in a good way. I am also a heavy drinker and for the last 2 months, that's been cut off and eating very healthy.

I thank you in advance for your support. I am a very worried person in nature and do overly stress about many things. One of the things that got me more worried is that once the symptoms started, i got in touch with the stripper and offered her $200 for her to get an HIV test and she cut off the communications from that point. I might of offended her by asking that but nonetheless, it got me to worry even more.

Scared but will find out soon enough. Thanks again Dr.

Rocko2231

Its not hiv related as you did not have exposure.
"On Feb 13th, i was severely intoxicated and at a strip club when one of the strippers and myself went to the back room for dances. We had unprotected oral sex, both ways and she kinda grinded on me but no penetration . I did not ejaculate but did have precum. "

That sentence right there makes it easy to answer your question. You never had an exposure and you definitely do not need any more tests for HIV, based on what you posted.

Your symptoms have nothing to do with ARS.
I hear what you're saying hangon51 and I do want to believe that I didn't have any real exposure. But I've never felt "unwell" for this long and looking at my symptoms, just don't know what else it could be, especially knowing these symptoms started 5 days after that night. Stressed out of my mind right now.
Really worried. So far, my many symptoms going on 8 weeks now, I never had fever temperature. I had hot flashes, chills, head feeling hot, ect...but no actual fever temperature. 2 days ago, I had a severe bout with coughing. I thought it was my asthma that was acting up until I felt a rise in my temperature on my head. Now for the last 24 hours or so, I've experienced my first bout with actual fever temperature, ranging from 38 to 38.4. I've also experience the odd quick shooting pain that disappears as quick as it comes on the left side of my body only (calf, thigh, arm, abdomen)

Is it possible now to be experiencing fever from late stage ARS, since my early symptoms that I posted previously started Feb 18th, 8 weeks ago?

Question about ARS. I keep reading that ARS arrives at 2-4 weeks and last 1 to 3 weeks and then goes away but I've seen forums where people who recently got infected ask when to expect ARS to leave their system as they were still experiencing symptoms 2-3 months after the start of their symptoms. Is there something I'm not understanding?
You need to quit reading the internet.  You never had an HIV risk, you don't need testing, and any "symptoms" you have are not at all related to HIV.
I finally got my results back and all STD and HIV came back negative. I obviously was extremely happy and relieved but still have concerns.

1- I still have symptoms that worries me. Keep having chills, hot head that comes and goes during the day, dry cough, digestive issues with dhiarrea. Crazy that I've had on off symptoms for over 9 weeks now

2- For what I could gather, my HIV test was an antibody test done with ELISA and was done at 50 days after exposure. Would you recommend another test at 12 weeks? Thanks again for your time. You have no idea how much reading your blogs on this site has educated and helped me through this ordeal.
Good day Dr,

I understand my risk was very low but my symptoms are very telling and I do believe I somehow contracted HIV. Here's my story:

On Feb 13th, i was severely intoxicated and at a strip club when one of the strippers and myself went to the back room for dances. We had unprotected oral sex, both ways and she kinda grinded on me but no penetration . I did not ejaculate.

Exactly 5 days later, in the night of Feb 17th to the morning of Feb 18, i started to feel off...had severe chills, body temperature felt hot...especially the head, headache, mild discomfort in the throat and dry cough. i also had nausea and didn't eat for a day and a half...didn't vomit or felt like vomiting...just didn't feel like eating. I did check myself for fever on several occasions, but never any signs of fever temperature or lymph nodes. The chills felt like something was invading my complete body, from head to toe. These symptoms lasted about 2 days and i woke up Wednesday Feb 19th feeling better, but had a severe case of diahrrea, which only was that morning.

Since then, I have had the following symptoms come on and off for over a month.
-On/off chills in my body with occasional light sweats
- Head feeling hot (no temperature of fever)
- Headaches
- Discomfort in throat and dry cough.
- Discomfort in my digestive system. Mild pains or mild constipation or having lots of gas.  

I told my wife about what happened as she was wondering why I was avoiding sex. She has been wonderful and supportive in this.

I had an HIV antibody test done at 50 days post exposure on April 3rd, as well as STD's. All came back negative a few weeks later. I wasn't able to get what kind of test they used from my Dr but from what I was able to gather, it was a 3rd generation ELISA antibody test done in Ottawa by Public Health Canada lab. I initially was overjoyed at this news and believed that my symptoms would go away but they haven't. wasn't too concerned at first but as days went by, my concerns have grown to the point I don't see anything else than HIV.

For the last 4 weeks or so, my main symptoms have been major digestive issues. Severe cramps or abdominal pains, especially after a meal which is usually followed by body chills or hot head or hot flashes. Frequent need to urinate, like every 2 hours. Also now have white lines around tongue edges, very dry mouth,  on/off headaches, feeling overly tired. I have also had 2 bouts of res dots on penis head appear. Doesn't hurt when peeing but penis head felt slightly hot. They went away after a few days on it's own. Also had 2 bouts of herpes appear on mouth. I've also lost 25 pounds in 2 1/2 months, from 260 to 235 now. General malaise, not feeling well at all. I just don't see anything else based on the time frame of the exposure and symptoms.

I am a big alcohol drinker and since that event, I have mostly stayed away from it, drinking only water like 10/12 glasses a day, eating well, lots of fruits and veggies, taking supplements like Tchaga tea and Oregano oil hoping to boost my immune system but to no avail.

I have always had low platelets count for some reason, barely over 150. Also suffer from chronic asthma and all kinds of allergies that weakens my immune system. These symptoms all in all have been going on for over 11 weeks now and my slow or weak immune system is most likely the reason that I tested negative at 7 weeks since I was still in seroconversion process and hadn't developed enough antibodies to be detected yet.

I read that people who have prolonged seroconversions usually developed AIDS much quicker than people who have a quick or no seroconversion.

I would much appreciate your input on my situation Dr. and comment on my concerns. I truly value your opinion as I have been reading your posts and blogs last few months.

I have a rapid test scheduled for May 8th which will mark the 12 week time frame. Need to know for sure.

Thanks again
* Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusively negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusively negative results or a no-risk situation will be based upon the criteria established by MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
    * After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
    * Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
    * Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.