Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.5k Members

What is the risk statistics for proper condom use

Hi this is probably a different question than you guys are used to answering.  I just had a question about how probable it could be to get HIV with proper condom use.  I have had protected vaginal sex with 5 women this year over a 9 month period.  

No breaks, tears, slippage the statistic is 85% effectiveness. Is the 15% related to condom failure?  If not what is it related to?

It has been 30 days since my last encounter and I got the Elisa test today just to feel at ease.  The nurse at the testing center said after 14 days you can get the Elisa test and if negative not to worry, but if I am absolutely positive I have HIV I should get retested at the 3 month mark if I didn't trust the 30 day test.

7 Responses
Latex condoms, when used consistently and correctly, are highly effective in
preventing transmission of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. In addition, correct
and consistent use of latex condoms can reduce the risk of other sexually
transmitted diseases (STDs), including discharge and genital ulcer diseases.
While the effect of condoms in preventing human papilloma virus (HPV) infection
is unknown, condom use has been associated with a lower rate of cervical
cancer, an HPV-associated disease. Laboratory studies have demonstrated that latex condoms provide an essentially impermeable barrier to particles the size of STD pathogens.

And the information you received from the nurse is incorrect.
What about polyurathane condoms I have read they are just as effective as latex and gained FDA approval.

So if my Elisa is negative that will eliminate 4 out of 5 encounters that occured over 90 days ago leaving 1 left 30 days ago. If you are negative at 30 days is there a likelyhood leaning towards another negative result at 90 days?

Should I retest at 90 days?

You didn't have a risk of contracting HIV from oral sex and you've been advised of it. You don't need testing for HIV. Polyurethane condoms are for those that are allergic to latex and yes they are as reliable as latex condoms.
You are correct oral sex is 0 risk, and I am good with that I have been tested for the more common STD's which are all negative.  

I was questioning my vaginal sex encounters with condoms, especially polyurathane since those were the only type available in south america.  If those are just as effective I am not worried then. Thank you for your feedback I am "Moving on" as you like to say.

648017 tn?1248003024
latex and polyurethane both have the same effect if worn properly.  don't use lamb's skin.
thanks boon yea I don't even think you can find lambskin anymore you really have to look for them in a novelty store.  I used a brand called Tulipan and Prime which are both made by good manufacturers.  I read the labels on each one to make sure the expiration date was good and was made of either latex or poly. No lambskin for sure.
648017 tn?1248003024
so where in south america are you?
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.