Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
53.1k Members

Window period

I am worried about a encounter with a CSW some time back where i didnt check condom whether it was intact or not after the intercourse. i felt extremely guilty for it and so i went for the duo hiv test 4 weeks post exposure the test came out to be negative. I have read on medhelp itself that a duo test 4 weeks post exposure is definitive unless you have a weakened immune system. The problem with me is that I have a fatty liver mainly because of alcohol abuse and for which i m also on medication. So my question is can this fatty liver prolonge the seroconversion and window period in my case and should i go for further tests possibly after 6 or 8 weeks?
11 Responses
Increase or decrease in index value do not matter...all values below positive cutoff value...are negative...at 6 weeks test is good indicator of true status...a followup 12weeks recommend......
The guidelines are 12 weeks, and that is also one of the reasons we advise testing at that time too.
Below are also some statements from Dr HHH. You might be interested to read them.
I also have other comments from other doctors who have advised people to get tested at 3 months. Doctors who have at times also said the DUO is conclusive at 4 weeks.
They say conclusive according to their own assessments of different risks. As members ((non-professionals)), we don't have that privilege and should consider all risks as high risks and advise a confirmatory 12-week test.

Actually, if you read the link you yourself have provided carefully, you will also see some reasons why a 4th gen may not be enough at 4 weeks.

====================================================

Dr HHH:

"it is sometimes wise to have an extra test at the lastest possible time.  We do the same thing here.  Even though we almost always say 6-8 weeks is plenty of time, when someone is at particularly high risk, WE ADVISE TESTING AT 3 MONTHS."

"assume a known HIV infected partner has unprotected anal sex.  The receptive partner has a 1% chance of catching HIV, or 1 in 100.   If a test at 4 weeks is negative, his chance of being infected drops to 1 in 1,000.  A lot better than 1 in 100, but obviously not good enough.  Same test, done at the same time after exposure, but a very different level of reassurance.  This person clearly needs another test or two.  Even at 6-8 weeks, when the test picks up nearly all (let's say 99%) of infections, the chance he has HIV is still 1 in 10,000.  Better still, but good enough?  Maybe not.  THEREFORE, DOCTOR HOOK OR I WOULD RECOMMEND A 3 MONTH TEST.

You can find the above quotes from Dr HHH in the link below:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV---Prevention/Hi--Help-discuss-some-questions-i-have/show/1177982
Thankyou for elaborating such complexed topic but i want to know whats your take on my risk, with the fatty liver how much will be a 6 or 8 week duo test reliable?
Sorry i got it now "all risk as high risks" !!
Look, I don't mean to cause you unnecessary stress, and a 4-week DUO almost always shows that one is "almost" 100% negative. All I'm saying is that the "12-week test" is a one-size-fits-all, absolutely safe, non-controversial testing time frame and we should advise that too along with any other tests..

As for your case, it is highly unlikely that the condom failed you, because if you weren't very drunk, or if it wasn't very dark, you would have seen any tears or ruptures when you were taking it off ((FOR SURE)). Condom breakage is VERY obvious. So, personally, I don't think you had a risk in the first place. BUT, if you are 100% sure that you are NOT sure about checking or seeing the condom afterwards, then I cannot say for sure if it was in tact either. Therefore, it would be considered a risk, and if there is a risk, I think I should always advise the 12-week follow up test.

My previous answer about Dr HHH's comments was only in response to your second comment and the link you provided. It was not a response to your original question.
I will be really happy and joyed over if yu coluld clarify my one more query ie i have been noticing increase in antibody count since my 3 week duo test my antibody count which was 0.02 at 3 week post exposure test increased to 0.04 at 4 week post exposure and now at 6 week post exposure is 0.09! Does this mean i am gonna end hiv positive at the 3 month mark? Please reply I am in deep stress seeing this increase!
I just read your last comment And i am really happy that you went into so deep analysis of my possible exposure , now i totally understand what you mean by saying why 3 month testing is reqiured and i am sure it is only gonna provide me the utter peace of mind! I am really thankful for keeping things in prospective for me to such an extent but now i really want to know the answer to my last comment as this increase is tickling in my mind and i am sure will not let me even sleep!
Please comment on my last post! I will henceforth not ask any further questions.
Please forgive me for troubling you like this.. I just want to re confirm one little thing that does your statement stands still for even the fourth generation duo test where the cut off is >0.25 ?
As long as you stay below the cut off value, you are negative. The changes in numbers don't mean anything and increases don't mean you are turning positive either.
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.