HIV Prevention Community

accuracy of hiv test

I am a 44 year old gay white male who in early june of this year came down with a severe case of urinary tract infection and had to be hospitalized for a period of time because of the severity of the symptoms and because I had experienced kidney damage as well. While in the hospital I was tested for hiv and hepatitus and both tests came out negative. Subsequently I do not have an enlarged prostate nor do I have kidney stones I am scheduled to see a specialist to check for the posibility of cancer. I have responded to the anti biotics that were given and appear to be making a healthy recovery though there is still some concerns regarding my kidneys.  My question is this though I tested negative for the hiv test in the early part of june I want to know how accurate that test would be considering my previous sexual encounter was about 7 weeks prior to this.
Its a very encouraging result at 7 weeks,but no test result is considered 100% conclusive until taken at 3 months post-exposure.You can test now and receive your conclusive result.
Thank you for responding to my question and I am planning on getting retested very soon  I do have a couple of other questions that have been on my mind. the first one would be, would 7 weeks after possible exposure to hiv would that be sufficient time to cause the infection that I had. And secondly, if its not hiv, hepatitus, kidney stones and enlarged prostate or liver problems and hopefully I will get clearance for cancer what other reason would of caused the tract infection that I had the doctors that I have seen have not been all that clear in explaining the possibilities.
This is an hiv specific forum.You can forward those questions to the correct forums here on medhelp for an answer.As i said 7 weeks is a very encouraging result and is not likely to change at 3 months.All the best.