azathioprine/imuran and HIV DUO Test

Hi, hope someone can help.

I recently had a potential exposure, i am male?UK - vaginal sex but condom split.  I know it might be considered low risk but I am in a new relationship now so I got tested 9.5 weeks post this exposure with a 4th generation DUO test in the UK at a top private clinic in London.

My results were negative and I was told these were conclusive.  I mentioned that I was on azathioprine (150mg/day) and that I have been on these for nearly 3 years now.  I can't remember the conversation too well but from what I can he said not to worry as the p24 antigen is independent of the immune system and would always show if antibodies are not present.  He also said that p24 stays at a fairly high level for a few months and only decreases when antibodies become present so immune suppression is not too much of an issue.  He also said that antibodies appear after 6 weeks in over 99% of the population.

My question I suppose is can azathioprine (being an immunosuppressor) at 150mg/day (about 1.5mg per my body weight) have much of an impact on antibody production?  I have regular complete blood counts and my white cells etc have been normal every time and I never really get even a cold so should be fairly healthy.  

I hope someone can help, sorry for lengthy question.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
3 months is when a conclusive negative test can be obtained. Your test is unlikely to change but get that 3 month test.

No that is not going to effect the test.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for your swift response!

I did ask if I should retest at 3 months but the doctor said no as 4th generation tests are so sensitive and he has seen not one test out of 10,000 or so turn negative after 8 weeks... However, i take your opinion on board and will take a 3 month test as I guess this not only covers international guidelines but ensures no-one 'falls through the net' so to speak and is finally conclusive.

Out of interest, when immunosuppression does lengthen a window period; are we talking chemo, transplant rejection drug at very high doses? And if so, how long is the window period lengthened for these cases?

Thanks.
Helpful - 0
sorry meant turn positive after 8 weeks
Helpful - 0
We use the CDC 3 month window period.

Yes, chemo and things like that. When talking to Dr's they will tell you to test at 6 months. But even then 3 months is really conclusive, again using CDC guidelines.
Helpful - 0
OK, thanks for your help.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV Prevention Community