Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.6k Members

cmia for hiv ,means what?

i made a test for hiv after 41 days , its antibody test
the result written to me is

hiv ag/ab by meia     negative  
cmia

i asked them at the lab and they said that it is antibody test only and dont look for p24
and it was cheap about 20$
but they dont know if it is 3rd generation

my question
is antibody test by meia or cmia a 3rd generation test or old test?
3 Responses
Hi there.

"hiv ag/ab by meia"     -  this denotes a 4th Generation (Duo/Combo) test - I would double check with the lab.

If it is a 4th gen, it is conclusive, - if it is a 3rd gen, it is EXTREMELY reassuring and very very very unlikely to change.

Best Wishes

James
I am from developing country and I have doubt that the technology used may be old
the lab I went to his equipment is certified from swedac ??
I don't think its 4th genr bec the antibody test cost me 20$
while I found later that they made test for p24 separately without antibody
and the cost of p24 alone is about 110 $ and they told me at the lab that the test looks for antibody alone but they don't know about the generation.

so my question is that cmia is considered 3rd generation or may be 2nd or 1st generation?
To be honest I do not have the answer as to what generation test it was, I would suggest that you ask the lab to confirm, - I would say it is a third gen but I cannot be certain.

What was your exposure?

James
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.