Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.6k Members

cold sore

if you have a cold sore on your lip that is 1 day old redish and not visibly bleeding can you get hiv if blood comes in contact with it. can it absorb the blood? is a cold sore considered an open wound? thanks
9 Responses
I would HIGHLY doubt that you would or could be infected with HIV due to having a cold sore on your lip.
so if a cold sore is not bleeding it is not an open wound and hiv cant be absorbed or get in, is this a correct assumption? or is a cold sore like a mucus membrane? the cold sore was probably only 12 hours old.
186166 tn?1385262982
seek professional mental help for your hiv phobia.
Thanks, i am trying to understand the virus and how it works. there is nothing on the internet about hiv from cold sore on lips. am i right in my assumtion that if it is not bleeding or an open cut then there is no risk because the virus cant get in?
186166 tn?1385262982
how about this.

HIV IS TRANSMITTED THROUGH...
UNPROTECTED VAGINAL/ANAL INTERCOURSE
SHARING IV DRUG WORKS
MOTHER TO CHILD

period
i agree. they are the only type of documented cases outside of health care settings. However, my question relates to the theoretical risk of transmission from blood to wound and wether a cold sore would be considered as a wound capable of absorbing the virus?
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.