HIV Prevention Community
53k Members

condom brokage & given test for DNA PCR after 20th day

Hello ,

I had experienced condom brokage while having sex with a prostitute and i noticed that in 2 mins and i removed . I am scared that i will been infected with HIV . I had sore throat and body pain after 4 days and gone in 2nd day . And now 19th day i had a smal rash in my knee and one more rash in forehead without itchy . And i had given DNA PCR test on 20th day . Kindly let me know the test is effective or i need to do any other test ,
PCR-DNA Tests
Neither the Abbott RealTime nor the Roche COBAS AmpliPrep/COBAS TaqMan HIV-1 assay is intended to be used as a donor screening test for HIV-1 or as a diagnostic test to confirm the presence of HIV-1 infection.
Richard Klein
HIV/AIDS Program Director
FDA Office of Special Health Issues
Food and Drug Administration
Dear teak , Can you pls explain me in simple way .
Hi Teak kindly reply that could give me peace of mind
I will explain it for you,the fact is you had the wrong test.You should have had an HIV DUO test not a DNA test.
Hi Rain thanks for ur kind reply , so you mean DNA PCR is not accurate and today I had give HIV Antibody (ELISA) test , is that ok ?
Yes,the antibody test was fine but the DNA test is for monitoring HIV+ people to check their VLs it's not a diagnostic test.
Hi Rain , As per your advice I had HIV DUO i.e AB test and p24 AG test after 41st day of exposure , the result was non-reactive . I can consider this . Kindly suggest