cut during surgery

Hello
I’m very scared right now. I work as an assistant in a clinic in Amsterdam and three weeks ago during surgery I got cut on a bloody scalpel. Now I’m very afraid of infection. My clinic doesn’t give me any support at all. They just say its normal and that its happening all the time. What worries me the most that now in week 4 I have headache and strong sensitivity of my eyes to sunlight. On Wikipedia it says that these are among the very common sympthoms of acute infection. When I asked one of the doctors at my clinic she said that this is true and might be caused by the virus.
As my clinic doesn’t support me at all on this maybe some expert is here who can reassure that these are strong signs for infection. Thanks for your support
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hard to believe the place you work is not giving you assistance. Makes me think that you might not be telling the truth.

Symptoms are not of HIV.

Go back to your place of work and demand action.
Helpful - 0
Yeah right. Why should i not tell truth. Im in the worst situation. They dont assist they only say i need to be test right after incident and 6 and 12 week. Right after i was neg. But why does wikipedia and also dr at my clinic say dizziness , headache and light sensitivity can be sign of seroconversion
Helpful - 0
Because many people don't tell the truth.

Because wikipedia is the best medical source on the net right? Symptoms have nothing to do with HIV.
Helpful - 0
Usually wikipedia provides reliable info as the info is checked by so many people . But what scared me most was that the doctors also told me that many infected people have ars sympthoms of tyredness and dizzyness and light sensitivity four weeks after infection. May i ask where you got your information from?
Helpful - 0
From better Dr's and websites then you. ARS if someone gets symptoms the primary ones are high fever, rash, sore throat and lymphnode swelling.
Helpful - 0
Ok thanks for sharing this info with me. The symptoms you mentioned are also listed on wiki as the most common ones. Howevrr my symptoms of dizzyness and strong sensitivity of eyes to liight are ranked among the more uncommon ones.  is it possible that i only develop the more uncommon ones such as dizzyness and light sensitivity of the eyes? How does the rash look like? I have many red spots that look like ingrowns on my leg. Could this be the rash?
Helpful - 0
No, if you get symptoms you get the "common" ones. That is not an HIV rash.

We don't discuss symptoms because not everyone gets them and most symptoms can be and are attributed to many other things.
Helpful - 0
It's unfortunate that  your facility doesn't seem to have an exposure protocol in place.  If they did, you would have been given very specific instructions on what to do.  Was the patient tested?  How severe was the wound?  Did you require stitches?
Helpful - 0
we have an exposure protocol but its just the testing at 6 8 and 12 week.
it was like a normal cut size if you cut yourself in the kitchen for example. it has already healed. the patient wasnt tested. do you think my symptoms (sensitivity of eyes to light, dizzyness and extrem tyredness) are ars or more likely stress?
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
Read what I already wrote about symptoms.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV Prevention Community