Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.8k Members

hiv and children

does hiv affect children the same way as adults?  are symptoms/course of disease the same?  i saw a commercial about hiv children overseas and was wondering about this.  thanks.
1 Responses
340962 tn?1201175636
HIV can be harsh on children. They are more prone to infections than the the rest of their peers. In addition, it can cause growth problems, motor skill problems (such as walking, crawling etc.) and mental issues (such as development of speach). Without antiretroviral treatment, 60-75% of children will die before the age of 5. 20% of children will develop serious illness in the first year of their lives. With treatment, the death rate drops below 20%. Babies born to HIV positive mothers will always test positive for up to 18 months because they carry their mothers antibodies. This does not mean they are infected (most aren't) so one way doctors will test a baby born to an HIV+ mother is through PCR testing (tests for the virus itself). I am not a doctor, but I have gotten this information from reputable sources.
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.