Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.8k Members

hiv symptoms

I recieved oral sex from a girl who I later found out was really a man. The oral sex was brief less than 30 seconds and I had no other sexual relations with this person. I have been very nervous and I guess some what paranoid for no reason. The exposure was over 3 months ago(december 22) and I haven't experienced any symptoms although  a couple of days ago I now have a sore throat(march 20) but no other flu like symptoms. I did have a dry cough for about a day. I have always been told that the flu like symptoms from hiv would show up in 7 to 14 days and no later than 4 weeks after exposure and this is 13 weeks later and I know is probably completely unrelated to my contact with this person. Is this true? and also what are the odds that you could contract hiv from this form of exposure? I guess I am being a little outrageous especially since I don't even know if this person has hiv.
5 Responses
You were never at risk.
can you expand on that teak. How was I never at risk?
Receiving oral sex is not a risk for hiv infection. Period.
Saliva is not infectious.

Insertive oral is no risk.  Receptive oral is extremely low risk.  Studies of sero-discordant couples which detailed thousands of acts of unprotected oral resulted in no seroconversions of the negative partner.

how did you find out he/she was a man? did he/she look like a woman? did you see his/her genital region during this encounter? thanks
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.