Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.4k Members

hiv test

what type of test is a hiv 1 and hiv 2 antibody test? recently i had a test which is hiv1 and hiv2 antibody test , i went to the diagnostics centre at 10:30 am in the morning and my report got ready by 2:30 PM in the afternoon so the entire testing process took not more than 3-4 hrs so now my question is what type of test is it? is it a rapid antibody test or a conventional antibody test?
17 Responses
186166 tn?1385262982
a rapid test gives results in 20 minutes.

the amount of time that you get the results from a standard antibody test depends solely on the lab.
which one is more reliable do you think a standard antibody test or a rapid test?
186166 tn?1385262982
both are reliable
no my point is which one does give early indication of the presence of antibody?
186166 tn?1385262982
neither are conclusive until 3 months post exposure.
so will the same antibody hiv1 and hiv2 test 3 months post exposure be conclusive?
ELISA is the antibody test used,its not a rapid test and takes time, how ever there are several rapid tests in the market and gives results almost in less than ten minuites, all antibody tests are very accurate, ELISA  is a older version very reliable probably yours was elisa
no my question will the same antibody hiv1 and hiv2 test 3 months post exposure be conclusive?
186166 tn?1385262982
the rapid test is an elisa.

YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT AN ELISA TEST IS CONCLUSIVE 3 MONTHS POST EXPOSURE.
ok thanks.

recently i had a condom slip off encounter thats why  i am so worried so i had a test post 4 week exposure and the result came negative..so do i need to go for a testing further?
186166 tn?1385262982
are you even READING the replies you've been given?
yes.. but i just want to know what could be my risk level in this encounter?
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.