oral / vaginal

Hi, im a white male (33) from Johannesburg South Africa.

8 days ago, i had protected vaginal sex with a white girl i hardly know. She is in a committed relationship and told me that she was tested 2 weeks ago and is negative (but who knows if that is bs or not).

My concern is performing oral on her. (She performed unprotected oral on me, which im really not even worried about)
i went down on her for about a minute. in that minute, i took vaginal fluid into my mouth, and kept the fluid in my mouth for about 30 seconds, before spitting it into my shirt which was lying next to me when she wasnt looking. i never swallowed any.

My concern is the following: i had a canker sore on the inside of my top lip which would have been in direct contact with her genitals during the oral sex part, and i had an abrasion on the inside of my cheek caused by my teeth accidently biting my cheek whilst eating earlier that day.

im really concerned that i might be at risk having kept the vaginal fluid in my mouth for a period of time with the 2 sores present.... i know that im going to get a reply saying that oral is no risk, is there anything in my situation that would advise otherwise?

i also can not wait 6 weeks for a test, i will go insaine.

i want to take a test now that will give me some sort of peace of mind, i know a 3 month test has to be taken to be conclusive, however a negative test now will relieve alot of anxiety leading up to the 6 week test...
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
thanks.
Helpful - 0
Oral sex is not a risk no matter what the subtype is.
Helpful - 0
thanks,

i take it oral sex is gauranteed NO RISK regardless of the hiv "subtype c" found in south africa which is the most infectious subtype?
Helpful - 0
You didn't have a risk and didn't need testing.
Helpful - 0
testing options prior to 6 weeks?
Helpful - 0
ORAL SEX DOES NOT TRANSMIT HIV.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the reply,

these reports are rather old, is there any recent reports validating this information?
Helpful - 0
No incident HIV infections among MSM who practice exclusively oral sex.
Int Conf AIDS 2004 Jul 11-16; 15:(abstract no. WePpC2072)??Balls JE, Evans JL, Dilley J, Osmond D, Shiboski S, Shiboski C, Klausner J, McFarland W, Greenspan D, Page-Shafer K?University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, United States

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update
J Campo1, MA Perea1, J del Romero2, J Cano1, V Hernando2, A Bascones1
Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

AIDS: Volume 16(17) 22 November 2002 pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan
Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117
Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.

There is no debate (among experts) about the HIV risks associated with oral sex. The risk is so low that almost nobody who cares for HIV infected patients has ever had a patient believed to have been infected that way. Among experts, it's a semantic issue about using terms like "no risk" and "very low risk". There is no difference between my or Dr. Hook's use of "low risk" and other experts' "no risk".
DR. HANSFIELD

"And oral sex is basically safe sex -- completely safe with respect to HIV and although not zero risk for other STDs, the chance of infection is far lower than for unprotected vaginal or anal sex. Please educate yourself about the real risks. If you stick with oral sex and condom-protected vaginal or anal sex, you have no HIV worries and very little worry about other STDs. " DR HANSFIELD

"I am sure you can find lots of people who belive that HIV is transmitted by oral sex, but you will not find scientific data to support this unrealistic concern..." DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread by touching, masturbation, oral sex or condom protected sex."- DR. HOOK

in the public HIV Prevention forum of MedHelp, TEAK and the other moderators maintain that oral sex in all forms is a zero risk activity. Would you agree with this assessment?
I TOTALLY AGREE / DR GARCIA

"The observation on thousands and thousands of observations is that HIV is not spread by oral sex (of any sort)." DR HOOK
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV Prevention Community