Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.4k Members

oraquick

Before Aug 19th 2015 I had an exposure (oral sex without condoms and also I had shaved my genital and I felt some liquid coming out from the girl on me). I got tested with Oraquick on Dec 18th 2015 and Dec 21st 2015. Both results were negative.
My questions are:
1) Is Oraquick accurate in this situation?
2) how could I understand the accuracy of 91.7% for false negatives?
Thank you.
3 Responses
13276481 tn?1451150367
1. Yes because oral is considered by most to be no risk for hiv or by some a very low theoretical risk. You tested at 4 months twice, this is conclusive.
2. Oral quick is less sensitive because saliva has less hiv antibodies then found in blood making it less sensitive.
1 Comments
Thank you for your response.
Some people say that this 91.7% accuracy is due to some test takers get tested before 3 months from exposure.
After 4 months would my body produce enough antibodies for detection by oraquick?
13276481 tn?1451150367
True, testing accuracy is based on timing meaning the more sensitive ones shorten the detection probability. And there's always the question was the instructions followed correctly.
Two oraquick tests at 4 months is conclusive.
Thank you!
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.