HIV Prevention Community
53k Members

peripheral neuropathy

why do people say that peripheral neuropathy is not a symtoms of ARS when it clearly is?
were do you get your info everything I have read says it is not.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/211873-overview

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Symptoms_of_acute_HIV_infection.png

AQA says that peripheral neuropathy is reported by roughly 13% or people with ARS.
also just before anybody posts...don do so if you not going to talk about my question (thats not a dig at you panickd1 btw)
now i'm so confused. which is the true, the doctor in here say that neuropathy is advance hiv or hiv more than 1year
Yeah wikipwdia is a great resource.

Even if your 13% is true, that is 13% out of people who may get symptoms...not very high and not very measuarable.
Well logically it means if you do not experience Neuropathy then you cannot claim that it is a common symptom as its rare....but if you experience all the other symptoms with neuropathy then you know you must be positive as no other virus would give you these symptoms.
the doctor on this forum, seems to contradict himself a little bit, whether accidentally or not. In this context though i think they only said that it isn't USUALLY a symptom....implying that it isn't but not definate.
You can not deduce from symptoms that you are infected or not. Yes you can have PN but what if you really have the flu also or anxiety induced symptoms? This is why we never discuss symptoms. They are too general and non-specific to HIV.
yes i agree you could not deduce symptoms on there own....however i think its fair to say if you experience all of them, withing the right timeline after having a risk then it will be over 90%likely that you are infected.
Read my posts...I had every symptom - I mean EVERY SYMPTOM in the book...including neuropathy 18 days after what I considered a possible exposure...it wasn't the flu, mono or strep...I've had many negative HIV antibody tests out to 3 1/2 years...I keep telling myself there is NO WAY it's HIV...my doctors never gave me a diagnosis...so, honestly, I don't know what to believe anymore...
I will give you some credit old chap, you have had a substantial amount of symptoms..................however you did not experience prolonged generalized enlarge lymph noodes from the sounds of things. This is KEY and one of the biggest indicators as no normal flu/virus causes that. I have litrally yet to find a symptom that i do not have.
Yeah but Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or chronic EBV can cause prolonged lymph node swelling...many other things can cause that. How long ago was your possible exposure? What tests have you had done?
I had read a couple things on that yes, but this is how my way of looking goes, if it was CFS or EPV then peripheral neuropthy doesnt fit into the picture.

my risk was on 15th june 2010.........it was protected but i was a bit drunk and never bothered to check the condom after to see if it was intact or not, just took it off so it may MAY have broken.

I have just reached the 3 month mark, no test yet, i could not deal with that kind of thing right now so will leave it until 6-12 months has past...i consider myself HIV positive.
symptoms began 4 weeks post exposure..
Why on earth would you consider yourself positive??? You haven't tested positive...I guaranteed to everyone that I would test positive...14 tests later - still negative...so, it's obviously something OTHER than HIV...it just has to be...and I know you are gonna be the same way...read about CFS/Fibro - a lot of people talk about tingling, numbness, burn feelings, etc...
Thank you Dolphins for the encouragement but, i consider myself positive becuase im a bright person and am never wrong about these things more importantly i had sex with someone highly likely to be positive - then got all the symptoms...had these two seperate factors not happend i,e symptoms with no risk or risk with no symptoms, i would not be confident with current my evaluation.

quick question, no offence but i read you posts and it seems that you describe yourself a woman, having sex with another woman as your risk?

Well you should have been comforted by the fact that there is almost no documented case of woman to woman sexual transmission ever happening.
I'm not a woman. I'm a man. The HIV risk has not just happened to me once with symptoms but twice...and I was WRONG both times! 4 years ago I had an unprotected one night stand with a girl - didn't know her...2 weeks later I had every ARS symptom...negative 8 times up to a year later...then 3 years ago - I made out with a stripper in Vegas - 18 days later I had an even more intense illness that I thought for sure was ARS...horrible fever, swollen lymph nodes and tonsils, stuff on tonsils, sore muscles and joints, neuropathy, night sweats, etc...it wasn't mono or strep or the flu...it just had to be HIV right? Well, I guess I was wrong again...because I've had multiple negative antibody tests out to 3 years later...
Ok i admit that is very unlikely indeed, a shimmer of hope for me then as you are one of just a few of us on here who actually have a worthwhile worry, but i am still skeptical. that its going to be something other than HIV..oh yeah and kissing doesnt pass it on though so thats not a risk.

btw sorry for the woman thing but you may want to change your profile infor as it says female (i did originally think you were a guy until i saw that)
ha ha it does??? I didn't even know that...see, so what I'm saying is...maybe these things just happen...maybe people get sick 2-3 weeks after a sexual encounter...I guess we're just so scared of HIV and it's all over the internet...and our symptoms match up...but we gotta remember it's a virus...and pretty much all viruses can affect us the same way...i think that's why they say symptoms are meaningless...would you believe it if a doctor told you that you don't have cancer because you don't have any symptoms???