the HIV storm in Kenya

Hi guys,
It's really really lucky to find this forum.... I have been searching the Internet for weeks because I'm on a long business trip in Asia, which I'm not familiar with. I'm from Uganda, 24 yo, straight male. A few weeks ago I read that a Kenyan college student girl who had been transmitted with HIV by a guy slept with 325 men, in order to pass HIV to them for revenge!! And the news said 300 men that had sex with her were confirmed to catch HIV from her!!!  That is unbelievable! Since I used to believe HIV from female to male is not that easy to transmit(about 1/1000), how can she infect 300 men out of 325 in two years?
This news reminds me of my own story... 2 years ago when I was in college I had sex with several girls, some of whom told me it's safe not to use a condom and I believed it...I don't know much about HIV at that time and I only worried if they would get pregnant... Also I was taken to the massage parlor by some "friends", there the CSW performed oral sex without protection. The oral sex usually lasted long, maybe 10-15 minutes. I don't remember if there was sores or cut on my penis, and have no idea if their tongues or lips had ulcer. My "friends" did that, I just followed them.
Now it has been 2 years since my last sex with those "risky" people. Recently I was diagnosed with HU, which is a  kind of inflammation in the eye. Also I had some skin disease, like tinea cruris, dermatophytosis and frequent ulcer in mouth!!! Now I'm having my business in China, and I virtually cannot communicate with local doctors...sad!! I went to have HIV test, they told me it's CMIA (made in China), and it's negative. They can not explain my symptoms. So I request to test CD4, and it came out only 398, very low.
What should I do, who should I turn to for help? Please
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Anyone here to help? I can't sleep...
Helpful - 0
If you've tested 3 months after your last unprotected episode of intercourse, you definitively are negative.  

Don't get carried away with tales you read online.  I personally am not buying it....the story was either fabricated, or exaggerated.  The rate of infection to the people she was trying to infect wouldn't be that high, not unless she had repeated encounters with each partner.

Helpful - 0
Thank you so much, nursegirl. I doubt the news, too....
However, since Kenya is adjacent to my hometown, Uganda, it scares me from time to time. My another concern is that recent years, several subtypes of HIV have been found in my neighboring countries, like N group in Cameroon, Togo, and P group found in 2009. I think as time passed by, some rare HIV have spread to my country. But as far as I know, the tests in most of the world only detect HIV-1M,2 and O, which they claim to be "advanced"....
Do you think I should go to France or other western countries that have found those rare HIV subtypes to have myself tested? I'm afraid my illness be delayed due to the delay of diagnosis, after all my CD4 is only 398
Helpful - 0
Those aren't subtypes, they are groups.
Helpful - 0
Many thanks for the correction.
However, I don't know much about the difference between subtypes and groups in testing. So please help me with my puzzle.
Do you think I should go to France or other Western countries that have diagnosed some of  those rare HIV groups(N/P) infection to have myself tested? I'm concerned because I came from that epidemic region. I'm afraid my illness be delayed due to the delay of diagnosis, after all my CD4 is only 398.
Thank you so much for what you guys have been doing!!!!
Helpful - 0
Your test is conclusive, nothing more needed in terms of hiv.
Helpful - 0
Thank you!
I'm sorry I just find it hard to trust the China-made tests can detect those rare groups that they never hear of. I still think I should get tested in some trustworthy or experienced institutes.
Because I read on the Internet that the Cameroon couple had not been diagnosed until they got seriously ill and all the evidence and symptoms pointed to AIDS. I think that means they were unable to diagnose them with conventional methods at the beginning, including those HIV screening methods I guess?
Helpful - 0
anyone help me?
Helpful - 0
* Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusively negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusively negative results or a no-risk situation will be based upon the criteria established by MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
    * After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
    * Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
    * Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.
Helpful - 0
I'm very sorry to bother you, my friend. I know you are quite busy helping people in need...  But could you please solve my last question? I am suffering from low CD4 and many suspected symptoms with unknown causes.
Helpful - 0
You don't have an HIV concern.
Helpful - 0
Your problem is that you're reading too much garbage on the internet.  You don't have any further HIV concern.
Helpful - 0
Thanks so much for your relieving reply.
Yes it's useless for me to think about HIV since the tests show that I'm ok...
I think I'll take your word and put my energy to other problems.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV Prevention Community